The Hampton Union, 1928

1928

SOUVENIR EDITION OF HAMPTON AND HAMPTON BEACH

1638 - 1928

Moulton - Janvrin Hotel

The present proprietor of the Janvrin Hotel has been continuously engaged in the hotel business on Hampton Beach since 1909. Mr. Ralph A. Moulton came to Hampton Beach 28 years ago and started to work in the old Leavitt Hampton Beach Hotel, as a clerk. From there he came to Janvrin Hotel, then under the management of Mrs. Munsey, where he stayed for 18 years. The spring of last year Mr. William Clancy sold the Hotel Janvrin to Mr. Moulton, who together with his wife, are well known at the beach and are active in beach affairs.

This prominent couple are also the proprietors of the Pennsylvania Restaurant at 320 Fourth Street North, St. Petersburg, Fla. They are well able to serve their patrons and give the best service which assures satisfaction.

The Janvrin Hotel at Hampton Beach is an ideal spot for the vacationist. It is easily reached from any point on the beach.


Lawrence House

Mrs. Katie M. Harrington, the proprietor of the Lawrence House has set a record that will be hard to beat. Mrs. Harrington came to Hampton Beach in 1901 and started a small rooming house on the present site of the Lawrence House. This humble beginning with only six rooms was quite popular until it burned down to the ground in the fire of 1915. The set-back did not discourage her and she rebuilt it into a twenty-three room house. After successfully operating for six years disaster again overtook Mrs. Harrington, completely ruining the place in the fire of June 25, 1921. Still endeavoring to have one of the best hotels on the beach Mrs. Harrington built the present Lawrence House with thirty-seven rooms and a large dining room which is operated on both the European and American plans.

This homelike hotel has gained an honest and excellent reputation for Mrs. Harrington specializes in giving the guest the best of care amid pleasant surroundings. The large Piazza affords the guest a lounging place where they can enjoy the sea breezes or hold social teas and bridge games and where as part of the hotel's hospitality refreshments are served.

When Mrs. Harrington first started the Lawrence House she had just one purpose in mind and that was to give the guest the utmost pleasure and a very restful visit. The rooms are large and airy with ample lighting both in the daytime and in the evening. The beds have fine soft mattresses insuring the guest restful sleep not to be forgotten and will cause him to select the Lawrence House when planning on another vacation or visit to Hampton Beach.

Mrs. Harrington has set a high standard on the beach on what a vacation resort should supply. Though she has definitely reached the hearts of her patrons yet she is steadily trying to increase the pleasantness of the Lawrence House by improved appointments, more attractive and comfortable chairs and in many other ways.


Chat Tea Room

The Chat Tea Room on Ocean Boulevard at C street has been in continuous operation for the past twelve years with accommodation for seventy guests and offering tables and booths for the convenience of its patrons.

The Chat employs a staff of 10 well trained and efficient employees, the waitresses being selected for their personality and appearance. All of these waitresses have had several years experience in fast and courteous service. Many patrons make a special trip to the Chat from Fitchburg, Hanover and the immediate towns to enjoy the special attention of their favorite waitress.

Pastry is all made on the premises by a lady baker and is comparable to the best of home cooking.

The Chat is likewise enjoying a reputation for the excellence of its meats and fish, all of which are fresh and of the best quality.

The popularity of the chat is best attested by the groups of waiting guests during meal hours. Guests to the Tercentenary are especially invited by the management to drop in for dinner or tea during their visit to Hampton Beach.


The Barn

{Barn Theatre program not in original
article of 1928. Courtesy John M. Holman}

The Barn Theater's history dates back to the year 1800 in which it was built and was the barn of the Leavitt Homestead. The barn then housed the horses and outfits driven from Canada, Vermont and other points to the Homestead, largely to buy fish. The original rafters are still intact and give an air of antiquity much appreciated by those who visit the converted barn to see the latest talkies and other attractions.

Mr. Elwin Avery of Portsmouth who is on the teachers' staff of the Portsmouth High School has converted the old barn into a moving picture house or theatre. Having considerable previous experience in catering to the movie minded, Mr. Avery plans to mellow the sound without deadening or distorting it. The old beams have a mildness mellow with age and no wires nor other handicaps to interfere. Mr. Avery has in the past been complimented for his excellent judgment in choosing the type of films he thinks the audience will enjoy, and with the aid of new and modern equipment the Barn has triple action thrills for the theatre goer. First, the sound is natural, not at all harsh, insuring a sensatory satisfaction to the ears. Second, the pictures are clear and distinct, adding to the pleasure of hearing the delight of seeing some of the best pictures ever produced. Third, and the most important, is the comfort of the patron, seats are arranged as to give maximum sight and ease, and all these at moderate prices.

The Barn is conveniently located at the North Beach opposite the U.S. Coast Guard Station with ample parking facilities for those who come in their autos.


Fred Lorenz

Fred Lorenz, one of the best known business men on the beach came here in 1921 and purchased the White Rock House in that part known as the White Island section. He was elected a director of the Hampton Beach Chamber of Commerce in 1925 and served as Beach Precinct Commissioner in 1927 continuing for eight years with Kenneth Ross and Col. George Ashworth and was instrumental with them in getting the sea wall and the jetties built and in having the town give to the state the ocean front. He was also active in the fight to get the rate reduction on the toll bridge getting favorable reports from the state commissioners, resulting in the state taking over the structure. He takes much pride for what he has aided in accomplishing to make the beach better in all respects.

Fred Lorenz has built up a very large trade and has one of the most attractive business places on the beach.

Situated just as one leaves the mile-long bridge and at the junctions of the Ocean Boulevard and Marsh Ave, no more convenient place could be found for those who come here to buy fish, lobsters and clams just out of the ocean and in their prime.

Here he carries a most complete line of package groceries, canned goods, ice cream, candy, cigars and the like as well as newspapers.

Oils and gasoline are dispensed by very conveniently located pumps in front, and at night, gleaming electric lights tell that here is Lorenz.

Just inside the store is the very attractive Mrs. Lorenz in charge of Sea Shell where fresh sea foods are served most temptingly. An almost steady line of patrons attests the excellence of the food and the satisfaction of the service.