The Hamptons Union, November 3, 1910

Hampton News

John H. Morgan has closed his house on the beach road for the winter, which will be spent with his daughter and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Newman, of Norwood, Mass.

Mrs. John C. Davis is recovering from her recent illness.

Miss Emma Davis spent Saturday and Sunday in Newburyport, Mass.

Mrs. E. J. Stickney has returned from Freeport Me., where she was recently called by the death of her mother.

Earle W. Moorehouse is still confined to his home.

Mrs. Elmer W. Griffin has returned to her home in Derry, after a pleasant visit with her sister, Mr. George Emery.

Miss Mildred Brown has gone to Boston for a week's visit. She attended the theatre on Halloween night with ten young lady friends, after which a supper was served.

Miss Gladys Tarlton is spending her vacation in Contoocook, the guest of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Hooke.

Mr. and Mrs. Morrill Coffin announce the engagement of their daughter, Edythe Sabrina, to Mr. Russell Daniel Moulton, of North Hampton.

Miss Mary A. Higgins, who owned the valuable property on Main street, in which she had made her home since the building was erected, and which is also occupied by Everett P. Sanborn on the ground floor, has just sold the property to Arianna Adams.

There will be a social dance in the town hall Thanksgiving night, Nov. 24. Everyone wishing a genuine good time is invited to attend.

The W. C. T. U. met last Friday with Mrs. Lillian M. Roberts. At this meeting it was decided to hold the annual Christmas sale on Tuesday, Dec. 13. The place and committees will be announced later.

Miss Mildred Brown will give music lessons to a few pupils this winter.

Josiah J. Dearborn recently celebrated his eightieth birthday at his home at Bride Hill. It was a pleasant surprise to Mr. Dearborn to be able to meet all his children at dinner that day, who all thoughtfully remembered him with gifts. During the day he received many callers and also congratulations from Boston and Maine officials, which showed the esteem in which Mr. Dearborn is held. Let us hope that Mr. Dearborn will live to celebrate many more such days.

Mrs. Thyng is quite ill at the home of her son-in-law, Judge Thomas Leavitt, at Bride Hill.

Mr. David Hird, who has been ill for several weeks, had a serious ill turn on Saturday and is now very sick, not being able to rally as his friends wish he might.

Miss Josephine Joplin visited school in Haverhill on Friday. Miss Flora Joplin came home with her upon her return.

The schools were closed on Wednesday, to permit the teachers to attend Teachers' Institute in Raymond.

The Thank-offering meeting of the Congregational Missionary society was held in the chapel on Wednesday, with Mrs. Charles Marston, Mrs. Alvin True and Mrs. Albert Shaw as hostesses.

A large audience greeted Mrs. Richards on Sunday evening and was well pleased with her address upon temperance. Mrs. Richards complimented the temperance sermon of Rev. Mr. Partington on Sunday morning and it was declared by all who heard it a clear call to be up and doing in the temperance cause.

Mr. John Morgan will spend the winter with his daughter in Norwood, Mass. Mr. Henry Weare has purchased Mr. Morgan's cow.

Mrs. Forrest Pratt and little son Hugh are visiting in Newburyport for a few days.

Miss Julia Locke entertained two friends over Sunday.

Miss Doris King and Master Elmer King gave a barn party to about sixty of their young friends Monday evening. A royal good time was enjoyed by all present.

Mrs. Alice Thompson has been suffering with a sprained ankle. She has as a guest her friend Mrs. Lawrence of Boston.

George Johnson has just completed painting Mrs. Pevear's residence and the fine appearance is a strong testimony of good work and good paint.

George Brown is quite ill in his home on Wind Mill road. Although Mr. Brown is blind he keeps in touch with all the outside affairs through his sister's reading and is a most interesting and instructive conversationalist.

William T. Ross is placing a concrete wall around the cemetery lot he recently purchased.

Charles L. Garland of North Hampton is painting his house, occupied by Rev. J. A. Ross.

The revival meetings opened on Tuesday evening with a very good attendance and bid fair to be a successful series.


The campaign for the November election is practically over. Nearly every one has made up his mind by this time how he will vote and there will be little change next Tuesday from the situation of today.

Hampton has been pretty well canvassed. More or less apathy exists, as is always the case in the first election after a presidential one, but with good weather and unremitting effort on Tuesday a pretty fair vote will be cast. The Republican ticket will be elected from top to bottom, with a leading vote for Mr. Hugh Brown for representative. The majority will depend entirely upon the number, who remain at home, and there ought to be a pretty good reason for staying home in a caucus year, when the biggest possible vote is needed.

The fight for no-license is being waged with skill and determination. The town is thoroughly awake and the rumor that the sale of one of our hotels depends upon a yes vote, and under that condition might pass to a liquor dealer, has made the victory more sure by arousing the community to the danger through slack effort on behalf of those who have the good name for the town at heart.