Trolleys to the Casino: Along The Beach
(The Hampton Beach Improvement Company, on April 1, 1898, leased for 99 years from the town of Hampton that portion of the beach extending southerly from the present Marine Memorial to Q Street, between Ocean Boulevard and Ashworth Avenue.)
Also built during the spring and summer of 1899 was a two-mile extension northerly along Hampton Beach from Winnacunnet Road to the North Hampton boundary, near Little Boar's Head, to connect with the Portsmouth Electric Railway, under construction at the time. This so-called North Beach extension was practically completed in late June or early July but was not placed in operation until 1900 when the Portsmouth Electric completed its main line from the Port City to Rye Center, Rye Beach and Little Boar's Head. The point of connection officially was known as Portsmouth junction.
Coincident with the building of the Hampton-Amesbury line and the extensions at Hampton Beach, both the power station and carhouse at Hampton were enlarged and additional generating equipment was provided. Another carhouse was built (by the Amesbury & Hampton) on the north side of Clinton Street, a short distance east of Market Street, Amesbury, and new rolling stock, consisting of seven 10 and six 14 bench open cars, two 20-foot closed cars and a Duplex single truck convertible, was ordered from the Briggs Carriage Company.