HAMPTON: A CENTURY OF TOWN AND BEACH, 1888-1988 Back to Table of Contents
Chapter 2 photographs
The Trolley Era
The Exeter, Hampton & Amesbury Street Railway:
Streetcars, Casino, Bridge, and Municipal Folly
(Note: Page numbers are from Mr. Randall's book. )
Page 44 : Wallace D. Lovell, streetcar system promoter and builder of the Casino. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 47 : Judge Charles Lamprey driving the first spike of the street railroad, Toppan Farm in the background. Courtesy Wayne P. Bryer.
Page 49 : Laying the street railroad tracks, Lafayette Road at corner with Winnacunnet Road, 1897. Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark, courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 50 : Ocean Boulevard just west of Great Boar's Head. Note the trolley lines on right side of the highway.
Page 53 : Constructing the street railroad along Lafayette Road, about opposite today's corner with Park Avenue. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 55 : Postmark of the Exeter & Amesbury Railway Post Office. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 56 : Map of the street railroad system in June 1900. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 59 : The Bragg-Gove family at Hampton River. Left to right in front of the house are Civil War veteran George Rix Rowe, unidentified woman, Augusta Gove, Horace L. Bragg, Arthur L. Bragg, Helen Bragg and Louis F. Gove. This house was moved to what is now Bragg Avenue to make way for the construction of the Mile Bridge. Courtesy A. Roland Bragg.
Page 60 : A group of houses on the north shore of Hampton River that were moved to make way for the construction of the Mile Bridge. Courtesy A. Roland Bragg.
Page 60 : Pile driver at work at the beginning stage of construction on the Mile Bridge. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 62 : The south end of the Mile Bridge. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 62 : The Mile Bridge, just after the deck was completed for streetcar and pedestrian traffic, but the road was not completed. Courtesy Ansell Palmer.
Page 66 : Cars on the beach turnout, south of Winnacunnet Road. Note the summer houses on the beachfront. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 68 : At the corner of Winnacunnet Road and Ocean Boulevard. Courtesy New Hampshire Historical Society.
Page 75 : View east along Winnacunnet Road, ca. 1911. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 75 : View south on Lafayette Road, Odd Fellows Block at right. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 76 : Ward's Crossing on Lafayette Road, south of the Village, was replaced by an overpass. Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark, courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 78 : Streetcar near Boar's Head after a storm. Left to right are Conductor Lewis Clark, Selectman Joseph B. Brown, and Motorman George Fifield. Courtesy Jewell Sherburne Brown.
The State Finally Acquires the Mile Bridge
Page 81 : Paying toll on the Mile Bridge. Courtesy Jewell Sherburne Brown.
Page 83 : Homer Johnson's truck dumping gravel as work began on the new Hampton River Bridge, autumn 1947. The Mile Bridge is in the background. Courtesy Homer Johnson.
Page 83 : Hampton River Bridge under construction with Mile Bridge at left. Courtesy Helen Worledge Hayden.
Page 85 : Hampton River Bridge open to traffic; the Mile Bridge being removed, 1949. Courtesy Helen Worledge Hayden.
Building Hotels and Cottages and Hosting Conventions
Page 86 : The original Oscar Jenkins' Cafe, Ocean Boulevard, the winter end-of-the-line for the street railway, from the Hampton Union , December 9, 1909.
Page 89 : The original [Hampton Beach] Casino, 1899. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 90 : Early view of the Casino and the Ocean House joined by walkway. Courtesy Anne Batchelder.
Page 90 : Turn-of-the-century vacationers on the sand in front of the Casino. Note the wooden breakwater behind. Courtesy William Stickney, Jr.
Page 93 : The Radcliffe, foreground, burned in 1909, and other buildings along Ocean Boulevard. Courtesy Gertrude Paulsen Palmer.
Page 95 : Nobles of Aleppo Shrine Temple, Boston, filled several streetcars at Hampton Center on August 31, 1901, for their outing to Hampton Beach. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 97 : The original Avon, built by George Ashworth. Note sand dunes behind. Courtesy Myra Driscoll.
Page 97 : The staff of the Avon, 1913. Left to right, Grace A. Paul (who later married George Ashworth), George Ashworth, Alice Ashworth, George Merrill, Ruth Currier, Bill Harlow, Margaret ?, chef Jim Kelliher, Edith Haselton, Ella Wilson, Jack ?, Mary Robinson, and Sarah Ashworth, mother of George. Courtesy Myra Driscoll.
Page 98 : Map of Great Boar's Head, showing division of land into house lots, 1904. Courtesy Helen Worledge Hayden.
Page 101 : Dudley and White Store and Studio, decorated for Carnival Week. Courtesy Dorothy Dudley Cheney.
Page 103 : Henry Hobbs with the E. G. Cole & Co. delivery wagon, about 1910. The numerous bags of grain indicate Hampton was essentially an agricultural community in those days. During the cold winter of 1923, Hobbs used runners on his wagon for 110 consecutive days, the most in his 18 years as a delivery man. Courtesy Stillman Hobbs.
Page 103 : Grandmaison Bakery truck with Victor Grandmaison at right. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 104 : View along residential, unpaved Ocean Boulevard toward Boar's Head, Leavitt's Hotel in the background, circa 1910. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 104 : The remodeled Jenkins' Cafe, the street railway waiting room at right, and the Radcliffe at left, circa 1907. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 107 : The Chuck Hill Band, 1950. Front, left to right: Chuck Hill, Joe Sweeney, Merrow Bodge, Willis Trainer, and Tom Sakelaris. Rear: Henry (Ed) Dumaine, Arthur (Ziggie) Sargent, Alexander Milligan, and Robert Barrett. Courtesy Henry Dumaine.
Page 109 : The Pelham. From Souvenir Folder, ca. 1920.
Page 109 : The Hill Crest. From Souvenir Folder, ca. 1920.
Page 110 : Ocean Boulevard stores: E. G. Cole groceries, Hampton Beach Bazaar, and Mrs. E. J. Littlefield's dining room. Courtesy Janet Fitzgerald.
Page 110 : Shipley's Corner, (later Mahoney's Lunch), Mahoney's Barber Shop, The Wigwam and, beneath the latter, Butterworth's Home Bakery. The corner of Ocean Boulevard and B Street. Courtesy Charlotte E. Ricker.
Page 115 : View along Marsh (Ashworth) Avenue, circa 1900. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 115 : View south down the beachfront promenade toward the Casino. As automobile traffic increased, Ocean Boulevard was made wider and the sand dunes were covered with pavement. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 117 : Fakir's Row, itinerant peddlers on the beach in front of the Casino. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 117 : [Robert Ring's] Popcorn stand and the boardwalk, before 1915. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 118 : Exeter Avenue, Hampton Beach. Courtesy Janet Fitzgerald.
Page 121 : The second Ashworth Hotel, burned in the 1915 fire. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 121 : The Fairview and the Janvrin, before the 1915 fire. Courtesy Janet Fitzgerald.
Page 122 : View south toward the Ashworth, probably taken from the steeple of St. Patrick's Church, ca. 1915. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 122 : The Imperial and Marsh [later Ashworth] Avenue from the corner of Ocean Boulevard. Courtesy Janet Fitzgerald.
Page 124 : The Strand Theater, burned in the 1915 fire. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 124 : Hampton Beach, Fourth of July, 1915. Note the trolley and the many automobiles. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 127 : Carnival Queen and her court, Carnival Week, 1915. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 127 : The Beach was decorated and crowded for Carnival Week, 1915. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 128 : Chauncey Redding's airplane flying over the crowded beach, Carnival Week, 1915. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer
Page 128 : Parachute jumper, Carnival Week, 1915. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 131 : The Fairview and the Janvrin Hotels, after the 1915 fire. Courtesy Janet Fitzgerald.
Page 131 : The Olympia Theater section of Ocean Boulevard and the Ashworth, after the 1915 fire. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 134 : Bathers at White Rocks beach. Courtesy Edwin L. Batchelder, Jr.
Page 134 : "Bathing beauties" on the main beach. Courtesy Edwin L. Batchelder, Jr.
Page 137 : New buildings constructed after the 1921 fire. Courtesy Myra Driscoll.
Page 139 : The bandstand was the center of beach activity in this late 1920s photograph. Note [Robert] Ring's Popcorn Stand behind the bandstand, the vaudeville stage, and the police-comfort station at right. [The original POLICE STATION sign is on display at the Tuck Memorial Museum at 40 Park Avenue in Hampton.] Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 139 : Interior of Mahoney's Lunch, 1925. Seated at left are Mr. and Mrs. Dan Mahoney. One waiter is Jack Fagen. Courtesy Charlotte E. Ricker.
The Hampton Beach Village District
Page 158 : John White, Beach fire captain, from the Hampton Union , December 9, 1909.
Page 163 : Precinct Commissioners John Foley, Alfred Gagne, and Ralph Harris, and clerk A. Roland Bragg. Courtesy Leavitt Magrath.