HAMPTON: A CENTURY OF TOWN AND BEACH, 1888-1988
Back to Table of Contents
Chapter 15 Photographs
Earning a Living
Working the Land and the Sea
(Note: Page numbers are from Mr. Randall's book.)
Page 510: Shaw Homestead, now Tidewater Campground, Lafayette Road. Photo was identified as "Mother, Father, Thelma and General the Horse." Courtesy Patricia Batchelder Keen.
Page 514: Hampton Village map, from New Hampshire City and Town Atlas, 1892.
Page 517: Leston Perkins's chicken houses, Barbour Road. Courtesy Leston Perkins.
Page 519: John Colby Blake, with cattle. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 519: Benjamin Blake [brother of John Colby Blake] grew popcorn for Robert Ring's beach stand. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 520: Family gathering at the Godfrey-Barbour-Perkins farm, Barbour Road [formerly Black Swamp Road] ca. 1900. In the carriage at left is Oliver Godfrey, who built the farm, with Pete the horse. Maurice Lane is by the gate, Bernice Lane with the bicycle and Sarah Godfrey in the doorstep. Second carriage is pulled by Tom. Courtesy Leston Perkins.
Page 520: Towle Farm, Towle Farm Road. Courtesy Samuel A. Towle family.
Page 523: Standing left to right are George W. Barbour and his wife, Sarah, Helen Barbour, mother of George, Aunt Ann Pollard, Oliver Godfrey and neighbor Maurice Lane. Seated are Helen Barbour, daughter of George and mother of Leston Perkins, and Bernice Lane, sister of Maurice, who married Fred Blake. Courtesy Leston Perkins.
Page 525: The Toppan Farm, Lafayette Road, was torn down for an apartment complex. Courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 525: Toppan Farm kitchen. Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark, ca. 1897. Courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 526: The Leavitt family haying. Courtesy Alzena Elliot.
Page 526: Geary Hurd Farm, Old Stage Road, Hampton's last working dairy farm, 1988. Peter E. Randall photograph.
Page 529: Elmer King, right, with the Tom Cogger ice wagon. Courtesy Lorraine King Brown.
Page 530: Cutting ice, Batchelder Pond, 1930s. Courtesy Patricia Batchelder Keen.
Page 530: Batchelder Icehouse and pond, 1950s. Courtesy Patricia Batchelder Keen.
Page 534: The fish houses, the Coast Guard station, and the Nason House (on the site of the Mace House, second from right), ca. 1955. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 535: The last Hampton whaleboat was owned by Edmund Langley, Jr. Unique to this area, Hampton whaleboats were used by local fishermen throughout the nineteenth century. Langley bought the 26-foot boat from Moses Brown in 1939; Brown had been storing it for 50 years. Langley sailed the boat for about 10 years. After he sold the boat, it was abandoned on Plum Island. Courtesy Edmund and Donald Langley.
Page 536: E.L. Batchelder, right, at the fish houses with Charlie Palmer, and large cod. Courtesy Edwin L. Batchelder, Jr.
Page 537: Charles Blake at the fish houses. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 539: Interior of a North Beach fish houses, date unknown. Coils of line are trawls, a sail is overhead, and other fishing equipment is scattered about. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 541: Fish houses, with view up Cusack Road. White houses in the distance are number 76 and 80 North Shore Road. Among the pile of clutter at left are table-like structures, which are fish flakes, i.e., racks used to dry fish. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 543: Down at the Hampton River. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 544: Lobsterman Robert Ring, Jr. [in front of Tobey's Drug Store, Lafayette Road, Hampton.] Courtesy Beverly Ring Prakop and Lloyd C. Ring, Jr.
Page 557: The south side of Boar's Head, with dories used by fishermen and gunners. Courtesy Janet Fitzgerald.
Page 557: Bird hunters and their shack, Hampton Beach. Courtesy A. Roland Bragg.
Page 559: Dave Weber in his sneak float, with goose and duck decoys, Taylor River, 1989. Peter E. Randall photograph.
Page 559: Old-time gunners used a variety of decoys to lure birds within shooting range. Pictured are: front: black duck; middle: Canada goose, brant, and sheldrake (hooded mergansers); and rear: silhouette decoys for sea brant or coot, all made of wood, and rare metal yellow-legs decoys. Ansell Palmer collection. Peter E. Randall photograph.
Page 568: Redman Shoe Company was located on Locke Road near Five Corners. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 571: Bradford Shoe Company, circa 1939, soon after it was built by town businessmen who wanted to stimulate a new industry in the later years of the Depression. Courtesy Stanwood Brown.
Page 575: Advertisement for Moses W. Brown Piano Company appeared regularly in the Hampton Union.
Page 579: Two views of Exeter Road with, from left, the Howard Lane house, the Shaw Block, the DeLancey house, the Mason store (with the word goods on the side), and the A. Philbrick house. On the right side are the town pump, the Lane Store, and the Daniel Philbrick house just before the [R.R.] crossing. Photograph from "Old Hampton in New Hampshire" by Newton Marshall Hall, New England Magazine, July 1896. Courtesy Wayne P. Bryer.
Page 579: View of Exeter Road looking west, same buildings as above. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 581: View down High Street prior to 1900, likely taken from the roof of the Shaw Block. Merrill Block is at right, and the Cotton Brown house at left was moved east to make space for the new Lane Block. Note the shoe factory and Hampton Academy in the background. Courtesy Wayne P. Bryer.
Page 581: The billiard and pool hall, left before it was moved to become Colt's News Store and the Mason Store, ca. 1899. Courtesy Wayne P. Bryer.
Page 583: Workmen at Exeter Road crossing, looking south, before 1899. Shaw Block at left. Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark. Courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 583: Railroad water tank and, at right, large building that was moved to become Colt's News Store. Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark. Courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 584: Exeter Road crossing, looking north along the tracks, as construction was underway in 1900. John A. Towle house, beside the tracks, was moved to 65 Exeter Road. Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark. Courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 584: View west on Exeter Road showing construction of the railroad overpass. Building at left was moved and is now Colt's News Store. John A. Towle house at right, Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark. Courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 587: Classic view of Hampton Center, about 1910, with automobile, streetcar, and horses on Lafayette Road. Three buildings at center were all moved to their locations from Exeter Road; last building on the right is the Lane store; Lane Homestead at top left became Lamie's Tavern. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 587: View of the depot, the Odd Fellows Block, and Lafayette Road from Exeter Road, after 1900. Courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 589: Leading Hampton men of the 1890s: from left, top, David O. Leavitt, Ernest G. Cole, and Abbott Norris. Bottom: Dr. William T. Merrill, Otis H. Whittier, and Dr. Marvin F. Smith. Composite photo from The Granite Monthly, July 1896.
Page 591: Butcher and postmaster Herbert Perkins, right, and his nephew, G. Lester Perkins, outside Herbert's store, Merrill Block, High Street. Courtesy Leston Perkins.
Page 591: The Merrill Block, High Street, 1940s. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 592: Warren Batchelder's meat wagon in front of the Batchelder home [?], Exeter Road. From their store in the Merrill Block, the Batchelder brothers sent their refrigerated wagon daily in the summer to Little Boar's Head and Rye Beach. Courtesy Edwin L. Batchelder, Jr.
Page 592: E. B. Towle outside his shop (right side of Marelli's), Lafayette Road. Courtesy Heyday Antiques.
Page 595: Nelson J. Norton's blacksmith shop was located on High Street, to the east of the shoe factory. Norton also made wagons; the one pictured was for Edwin Janvrin, the lumber dealer who supplied the construction materials for the Casino and many other Beach buildings. Courtesy Stanwood Brown.
Page 595: Jenness Blacksmith shop, 284 Winnacunnet Road, near corner of Locke Road. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 597: Hotel Whittier and corner of Lafayette Road and Winnacunnet Road. Courtesy Wayne P. Bryer.
Page 597: Interior of the Hotel Whittier. Courtesy Wayne P. Bryer.
Page 598: The original Hotel Echo on Winnacunnet Road, now the site of Odyssey House. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 598: The second Hotel Whittier [Whittier Inn], now Odyssey House. Courtesy Ansell Palmer.
Page 599: View just west of the railroad tracks on Exeter Road with the Franklin House, later the Hampton House, at right. Courtesy O. R. Cummings.
Page 599: Unusual ("not contained in any other pool room in America") round pool table at the Franklin House, Melzar Dunbar, prop. A February 1901 Hampton Union item suggested that the table was one of three made in 1837. Courtesy James K. Hunt, Jr.
Page 600: Greta Hall, boardinghouse of Mrs. E. D. Berry. [located on northeast corner at junction of Mill Road and High Street. The cupola on the roof served as the first Aircraft Warning Station at the beginning of WWII.]
Page 601: U. S. Mail wagon in front of the Elmwood, Winnacunnet Road. Courtesy Glyn Eastman.
Page 601: Winnacunnet Road with the East End School and the Garland Homestead. At center is Jacob Godfrey's ice wagon. Courtesy Wayne P. Bryer.
Page 602: "Gregory's Deluxe Cabins," 1950s, now site of the First National Bank, [Old Port Bank & Trust in 1999] 853 Lafayette Road. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 602: The Snuff Box, Ethel Verrell's antiques shop on Lafayette Road at the corner with Winnacunnet Road, later moved to 151 Winnacunnet Road. It is the site of the Hotel Whittier [burned to the ground in December 1916.]. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 604: Sanborn's Drug Store and Soda Fountain, Odd Fellows Block. Courtesy Madeline Nudd.
Page 605: Mr. and Mrs. Luigi Marelli on their wedding day. Courtesy the Marelli family.
Page 606: Lindsay's Barber Shop and Restaurant, now Colt's News Store from the Hampton Union, December 9, 1909. Courtesy Glyn Eastman.
Page 606: Colt's News Store, 1930s. Courtesy Glyn Eastman.
Page 609: Turn-of-the-century view of the Samuel W. Dearborn Lumber Company, located on High Street opposite today's Dearborn Avenue. Driving the wagon is Percy Jenness, who worked for Dearborn, a contractor, businessman, and a founder of the Hampton Beach Improvement Company whose sign appears on the building at right. Following the deaths of Dearborn and his son Clarence, Mrs. Belle Dearborn ran the company and, in 1911, she moved the business across the street to the property now occupied by the Hampton Water Works Company. She sold to John A. Janvrin in 1916. Percy Jenness worked for the Janvrins for 20 years. Later, Janvrin relocated behind the shoe factory, now the site of Dearborn House. Meanwhile, the buildings in the picture were occupied by Frank Mason and the barn in the background, which had been the lumber company mill, housed the town's first chemical fire wagon, which was pulled to fires by Mason's team. Later the building was moved and remodeled as the Grange Hall [now the American Legion Post 35 hall in 1999]
Page 614: Edward Seavey, Sr., left, editor and publisher of the Hampton Union, 1929-1938, and Edward Seavey, Jr., editor and publisher of the Union, 1938-1963. Courtesy Doris and Carl Bragg.
Page 615: Carl C. Bragg, at a Hampton Union Linotype machine, became a partner with Edward Seavey, Jr., in the publishing company from 1945 through 1963. Courtesy Doris and Carl Bragg.
Page 617: The original Lamie's Restaurant, corner of Lafayette Road and Depot Square, from the Hampton Union, December 9, 1909.
Page 618: Lamie's counter service, with Gladys McCormack Ring at center. Courtesy Beverly Ring Prakop and Lloyd C. Ring, Jr.
Page 618: Lamie's dining room with Gladys McCormack Ring at right. Courtesy Beverly Ring Prakop and Lloyd C. Ring, Jr.
Page 619: Santa and his reindeer, on the roof of Lamie's, was a widely known holiday decoration originated by Al Tower and continued by the Dunfeys into the 1960s. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 623: The Thomas Cogger Block, Hampton Center, 1920s. The building at right was operated for many years as a restaurant by a variety of people, including Al Lamie. Courtesy MHGMHA.
Page 623: Stan Brown's Western Auto store, originally an A & P store and now McDormand's, with the Hampton Center Barber Shop at left, 1964. Earl Newman, who now runs the barbershop, began working there in 1950, left in 1957, and came back in 1969. The shop had been operated for many years by Joe Pellegrino. Courtesy Stanwood Brown.
Page 624: Express wagons at the Hampton depot. At right is DeLancey's Freight and Express wagon. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 624: Hampton depot from the track side, after 1900. Courtesy Gertrude Palmer.
Page 627: Diesel Budd car at Hampton depot, mid-1950s.
Page 627: Early automobile at the Hotel Whittier. The driver is unidentified, but it appears to be Freelan O. Stanley and his wife in their Stanley Steamer, enroute to their 1899 trip up the Mount Washington Carriage Road. Photograph by Mary Toppan Clark, courtesy Wilma Toppan White.
Page 628: Ford garage and Hampton Center, after 1916. Courtesy Ernestine Wygant.
Page 628: Pictured with a new car at the Brooks Ford garage in Hampton Center are, left to right, Phil Howe, Victor Bogrett, unidentified, Leavitt Magrath, and John Brooks. Courtesy Leavitt Magrath.
Page 631: The Work-Rite Garage, 575 Lafayette Road. Owner Lawrence Hackett is seated in his 1916 Cadillac wrecker. Courtesy Carrie Hackett.
Page 631: Floyd and Clara Gale's original garage, built in 1925 on land purchased from Hampton Associates. Left to right are Samuel Seward, Gale's father-in-law; cousin Melvin Horne; and Gale. The garage was often open seven days a week and 24 hours a day during major summer holidays. After selling the garage in 1944 to Lawrence C. Hackett, Gale served for 22 years as a Rockingham County deputy sheriff. Courtesy Clara Gale.
Page 632: Albert A. Brown with Willard Emery at the wheel, 1910. Courtesy Jewell Brown.
Page 632: Jerome Selleck's Texaco, Winnacunnet Road, Baptist Church at left. Courtesy Jewell Brown.