The Meeting House Green Memorial and Historical Association
HAMPTON: A CENTURY OF TOWN AND BEACH, 1888-1988
Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents
Chapter 23 -- Part 7
Through the generosity of Honorable Edward Tuck of Paris, France, a descendant of one of the original settlers of Hampton, funds were made available in 1925 to purchase the Frank Fogg "home place." The building was renovated and Tuck Hall was added to house memorabilia and antiques of Hampton. The second annual meeting of the association was held in Tuck Hall, October 14, 1926. At that time, the word "historical" was added to the name of the association. A new addition was built during 1961 and 1962 to accommodate the many items constantly being donated by interested citizens. This became Tuck Memorial Museum, which is open to visitors in the summer. Monthly meetings are held throughout the year.
In 1985, a building was erected near the museum and donated to the association by members of the Hampton Fire Department to preserve an antique hand pumper and other firefighting artifacts. Another addition to the museum complex was the conversion of a two-car garage to the Farm Museum in 1987.
Along with the formation of the historical association, through the constant and personal effort of Reverend Jones, the Memorial Park (or Founder’s Park) was laid out on what is now called Park Avenue. Edward Tuck also contributed funds for this project. The dedication ceremony was held October 14, 1925.
Next came an athletic field for the youth of Hampton. Through the continued endeavor of Reverend Jones, and later Mrs. Jones, and again thanks to the generosity of Edward Tuck, Tuck Field became a reality. This required the acquisition of additional parcels of land. Tuck Field was dedicated to the use of the youth of Hampton on June 4, 1930.
Tuck continued to be very supportive by making substantial donations of money until his death in 1938 at the age of 95. Not only was he Hampton’s benefactor, but he has often been called New Hampshire’s greatest benefactor.