Hampton Lions / Other Service Organizations

Chapter 23 -- Part 5

Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents

Hampton Lions

In 1947, the Hampton Lions’ Charter Night Banquet was held at the Hampton Academy auditorium, and 48 charter members began four decades of continuous service to those less fortunate than themselves. The Lions Club has always had a cohesive membership, yet it is diversified in business and profession. Each Lion has shared something of his own expertise in helping to meet the objectives and goals of the Hampton Lions. Community projects have ranged from such events as the annual Minstrel Show, March of Dimes Campaign, White Cane Day, Camp Pride, and Lions Memorial Scholarship -- all provided without fanfare to many needy area residents.
  -- Gary W. Bashline

Other Service Organizations

The oldest of Hampton’s service organizations, the Kiwanis Club, was formed in 1938, the 99th club in New England. Superintendent of Schools Roy W. Gillmore was the first president and Dean Merrill was the first treasurer. Among the club’s many accomplishments was the purchase of land and creation of Batchelder Park on Towle Farm Road.

In 1958, Hampton men were among the organizers of Exeter-Hampton Lodge No. 2075, B.P.O. Elks. J. Walter Hollis of Hampton was the first Grand Exalted Ruler. A lodge was constructed the following year on Hampton Road in Exeter, but the organization apparently failed to attract enough members. After it closed in the 1970s, the lodge became business offices.

The Hampton Rotary Club was organized in 1969, with Dana Scot Huntington as the first president.

Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents