Historic Hampton Home has New Marker
Special to the Atlantic News
Atlantic News, Friday, September 5, 2008
[The following article is courtesy of Atlantic News.]
[Atlantic News Courtesy Photo]
HAMPTON -- Members of the Hampton Heritage Commission recently visited another one of the town's homes to present a new marker as part of the ongoing Historic Marker Program.
The residence, located at 60 Park Avenue in Hampton, is home to June Eaton. She originally purchased the Colonial home in 1963 and has resided there ever since.
Throughout the years, Eaton has renovated the home and adapted it to modern living, but she has lovingly retained many of the original features.
When the house was built, wood was the only source for heat and cooking, as evidenced by the four large fireplaces (three of which are still working) and brick oven. All are connected to a large center chimney.
Other original architectural features include gunstock corners, hand-hewn beams and beautiful wide boards on the walls and ceilings throughout, most measuring 12-15 inches in width.
The foundation is layered stone, with a huge centered stone base supporting the fireplaces and chimneys. The turned front stairway is especially nice, with the original wide boards with beaded edges.
Town records showed that the house was built in 1815 by John Batchelder, who resided there until 1840. John was the fifth Batchelder descendant to live on the site, beginning with Nathaniel.
Nathaniel Batchelder was born in England, and was the grandson of Rev. Steven Bachiler, the leader of the first group of settlers of Hampton and whose home was approximately opposite Nathaniel's.
The area was also home to another of Steven Bachiler's grandsons, John Sanborn, who lived a little to the west. A plaque commemorating Rev. Bachiler and the founding of Hampton in 1638 is nearby in Founder's Park.
The Hampton Heritage Commission has established the Historic Marker Program to recognize buildings in Hampton that contribute in some positive way to the appreciation and understanding of the town's unique architectural and historical heritage. The program is open to buildings that are at least 50 years old, are well maintained and have retained the integrity of their original design.