Historical Articles by John M. Holman
By John M. Holman, Contributing Writer[E-mail: jholman(at)hampton.lib.nh.us
Hampton History Volunteer
Lane Memorial Library
Hampton History Website: http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/holman/index.htm]
The Lane Memorial Library is delighted to be able to make available some of the articles on Hampton history written by John M. Holman, one of Hampton's most active historians. Also included are many short articles written by others which he has edited for our website. We can thank John for much of the work involved in creating many of the library's other Hampton history pages as well.
Table of Contents
Around the Town:
- Jonty's Lane: an old Hampton road
- "Toppan's Corner" (Or "Whittier Junction")
- Hampton's Tuck Memorial Museum - 1925
- The Wingate-Toppan Garrison House
- Historic Hampton Remembers its past - 1925 (Founders' Park)
- More on Founder's Park
- Ward's Crossing -- Stop .. Look .. & Listen
- Traffic Beacon at High Street and Lafayette Road - 1924
- Depot Square vs. Marelli Square
- Hampton Loses Historic Town Hall in Fire
At the Beach:
- Hampton Beach, NH -- 1922 (The Atlantic City of New England)
- Hampton Beach Band Concerts -- 1899 - 1998
- Carnival King and Queen at Hampton Beach - 1920's
- Buildings at North Beach
- The N.H. Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach
- Hampton's "Mile-long" Wooden Bridge and Neil J. Underwood Bridge
- Pleasure Spots for Summer Vacationists
- Hampton's Unique Submarine of the 1920's
- The "Willows" at North Beach
- "Dancing Carnival" Was A Famous Beach Landmark
- The John C. White Memorial Playground -- 1975
- The Thomas Nudd Homestead
- The Hampton Marshes
- Haying the Marshes in Hampton
- The Salt Marsh & Salt Haying
Businesses In Town:
- Wayside Farm and related stories "People are Funny" and "He Can Who Thinks He Can"
- The Hamptons Union Story -- June 14, 1899 (1866 - Charles Francis Adams - 1950)
- Hampton's Historic Lamie's Tavern - 1930
- Hampton Has a "New" Movie Theatre ... in 1942!
- Hampton's "Hotel Whittier"
- History of the Hampton Cemetery Association
- The Lane Family Tomb
- 1858 -- Hampton High Street Cemetery -- 1998
- The High Street Cemetery Tomb -- 1899
- The Dearborn Monument
Long, Long Ago:
- The Big Breakup of Hampton
- The Sea Gates in Hampton -- 1755
- The Way it Was in Hampton, NH in 1840
- The Old (& New) Postmasters in Hampton
- WINNACUNNET: "Beautiful Place of Pines"
- The Turnpike vs. the "Shunpike", ca. 1810-1826
- Hampton and Hampton Beach in 1871
Place Names and Historical Sites:
- Hampton Historical Sites
- Olde Names of Hampton Localities
- "Whatever Became of .......?" (Unknown Hampton History)
- Historical Hampton Landmarks Trivia
- Old Hampton Roads (& Localities)
- In Memoriam -- Hampton Veterans and the place names named in their honor
- History of Hampton's Schools
- Hot Lunches and Milk Program in the Hampton School System (1924-1956)
- NH Historical Marker #28 -- "First Public School" -- Hampton, N.H.
- History of the Hampton Public Kindergarten, 1947-1997
The Trolley Era of Hampton:
- The "$80,000" Clock
- The Trolley Era of Hampton, 1897-1926
- Street Railway Duplex Car #20
- Old Trolley Car Becomes a Little Stone House
- Trolley Car #8 Leaves Hampton for Last Time -- 1966
- Street Railway Post Office
- "Pen Pals Forever" -- the story of John Holman and his Australian pen pal since 1946.
- About the "Drama of Winnacunnet" play performed for the Tercentenary in 1938.
- Goody Cole and Tercentenary (1938) memorabilia donated to new town office.
- Hampton History Timeline, 1820-1975
- Postcards "To the Folks Back Home ....."
- "Try It, You'll like It!"
- The "Hampton Cook Book" of 1903
- Hampton's Strong Man - 1900 - Clinton J. Eaton
- Hampton Historian Joseph Dow's Birthday Observed,
(April 12, 1807 -- December 16, 1889)
- "Congratulations to Hampton" -- A Portsmouth newspaper celebrates
Hampton's 300th anniversary in 1938
- Two Weeks Vacation In Maine