By Aubry Bracco, Atlantic News Staff Writer
Atlantic News, Friday, July 13, 2007
[The following article is courtesy of Atlantic News]
[Atlantic News Photo by Aubry Bracco]
HAMPTON BEACH -- Investigations into the cause of a fire that damaged the Funarama arcade at the Hampton Beach Casino were still ongoing a week after the blaze occurred.
The two alarm fire started just before 8 p.m. on Wednesday, July 4. An evacuation was already underway when firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported.
While the Funarama portion of the building sustained the most damage, other parts of the structure, including the Casino Ballroom, sustained smoke damage. Repairs were made so that scheduled performances could proceed without any cancellation.
Though there had been reports of a possible suspect spraying what appeared to be lighter fluid next to the Funarama entrance prior to the fire, the Fire Prevention Bureau had not yet released an official report as of press time.
Although beach goers missed out on an evening of Fourth of July fireworks as a result of inclement weather, Hampton Beach Village District Chairman, Maureen Buckley said the cancellation, in retrospect, turned out for the best as a number of organizations were able to coordinate and handle the situation efficiently.
Buckley said she was thankful to the Chamber of Commerce and Precinct and commended the firefighters for their work.
Hampton Fire Chief, Hank Lipe said the Hampton police department should also be recognized for their efforts.
"I want to especially emphasize the support and mutual efforts of the Hampton PD," Lipe said. "It was imperative that they secure the scene for us. I highly commend their actions."