Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: Batchelder Brothers -- Butchers / T. N. Chase -- Dry and Fancy Goods, and Millinery

Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents

Batchelder Brothers -- Butchers

They sent out their first teams in 1874, from a slaughter-house on their own farm, at Bride Hill. In later years,s they have bought much from Boston and Portsmouth markets, besides their own supply; bought more than ten thousand dollars' worth of meats in 1891; opened a meat market in the old J. A. Towle Building, in November, 1887; removed to Merrill's block, in July, 1889; continue to supply distant customers from the carts, two being sent out daily; use a refrigerator cart in warm weather.

T. N. Chase -- Dry and Fancy Goods, and Millinery

He opened the first and only store of the kind, in Hampton, in the fall of 1877, in the J. A. Towle building. In 1883 Mr. Towle built a new store, in the rear of his old building, and into this Mr. Chase moved in October, with a great addition to his stock. Here he remained till the opening of Shaw's block, in 1890, when he removed thither. He keeps a good assortment and has an attractive store.
Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents