A road had been opened here nearly or quite twenty years earlier, but its width had been considerably diminished by encroachments made during that time. Again, in 1825, the same road was run out, "two rods wide."
January 10, 1661: At a meeting of a committee appointed, to determine and record convenient highways, and to award damages, it was ordered that where any private way had been, or should be, laid out through any person's land, whether meadow or marsh, the sweepage and feedage of every such way should belong to the owner of the land over which the way passed, and should not be claimed by any other person -- such ways, in this respect, differing from town and country ways, the sweepage and feedage of which, the committee judged to be common.
In the record of the doings of the committee at this meeting, the Mooring-Turn, so called, in Hampton river, is mentioned as the place "where the boats do usually ride at anchor." It was their opinion, that those who had occasion to moor their boats there, had also a right to use a foot-path leading to it over a tract of salt marsh, formerly owned by Thomas Marston, but at that time by John Cass; and as no compensation had ever been made to either of these men, for damages, it was thought to be no more than justice, to offer to Cass a certain tract of land, in full satisfaction for this use of a portion of his marsh, and he accepted it as such.