Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: BOUNTIES FOR NEW SETTLEMENTS
BOUNTIES FOR NEW SETTLEMENTS
The plan however, did not prove successful, and a few years afterward it was thought expedient to offer other and greater inducements. It was then voted, that those inhabitants of the town, who would give in their names at a meeting to be holden for that purpose, and agree to improve land at the New Plantation, by building upon it and fencing it, should be allowed to take up forty acres apiece, to begin at the northern part of the western boundry, next to Exeter, and have their lots laid thence homeward towards the town, provided that none of them should extend more than three-quarters of a mile eastward of Ass brook. This was April 14, 1669.
Twelve men accepted the terms, and the town voted that lots should be laid out for them in two divisions. These twelve men were:
William Sanborn, Abraham Perkins, Sen. Samuel Fogg, Nathaniel Batchelder, John Moulton, Morris Hobbs, William Marston, John Smith (the cooper), Henry Moulton, Robert Smith, Anthony Taylor, Thomas Marston.More than three years earlier the town had voted to give William Marston, Sen., one hundred acres of land, to be laid out as near the Great pond in the western part of the township as might conveniently be done, provided he should build upon it and settle some person there during the next year. As Goodman Marston was at that time far advanced in life, being about seventy-five years of age, it was not probably expected that he should settle there himself.
At the same meeting, Ens. John Sanborn, Samuel Dalton and Abraham Drake were appointed as measurers of land, to lay out, or, it may be, to complete the laying out of the land granted as a Second Division in 1663, or later. They were ordered to lay it out by the end of May following, so arranging the lots as to allow each person to have his full proportion in one body so far as practicable.