Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: COMMITTEE OF SURVEY

Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents


February 12, 1669, Thomas Marston, Abraham Drake and Joseph Dow were instructed by the town, to run the line from the north tree [five miles north of the meeting-house in Hampton,] westward through the woods to the line of Exeter--two miles distant from the Meetinghouse in that town,--and thence along the Exeter line to the bound tree standing where the road crosses Ass brook. This survey was to be made in accordance with an order of the court. The work was to be done sometime in the month of March ; but it seems not to have been completed at that time, for late in the following autumn, a part of the same survey was entrusted to Marston and Drake of the former commitee, together with Peter Johnson. They were required to run the line from the north tree of Exeter, and also to measure from the causeway bridge is according to the court's order and grant in 1652. By the causeway bridge is probably meant a bridge near the beach not far from the easterly end of the road now called the causeway, though no reference to it in any court order of so early a date has been found. At a later period, the boundary line at Jocelyn's Neck was declared to be five miles from this bridge, to be measured along the road, or path, near the beach.

There had been a controversy between this town and Portsmouth concerning the boundary line at Jocelyn's Neck. The case was brought before the county court at Salisbury. April 12, 1669, for adjudication. Ens. John Sanborn was chosen to manage it as agent in behalf of this town, and was instructed to procure such assistance as he might judge necessary.

An action brought by the selectmen against Henry Green, was pending in the county court, but at this time the town declared the case "nott yett Ripe for a Tryall."

Back to previous section -- Forward to next section -- Return to Table of Contents