SECOND REVIEW OF OLD GRANTS
In the following winter, the committee attended to the business assigned them. But in the course of their investigations, they met with instances of persons claiming land, of which they could find no grant on record, and this caused them not them not a little embarrassment. The town therefore voted, that, in such cases, the claimants should produce two or more witness to prove their grants; and that the committee should then cause a record to be made of such grants as, in their opinion, were valid.
At the same meeting on the 9th of February, it was also voted, that the committee, with the town clerk, should have further power given them by the town, to appoint, lay out, and record convenient highways to men's lands in the town, and to allow satisfaction to the proprietors according to their discretion, which satisfaction was to be made with portions of the town's land. The committee were also required to have all shares of the common recorded; and as this would occasion considerable labor to the town clerk, the other members were authorized "to adjudge what satisfaction" he sould receive his pay to be taken out of the next town rate.
The committee appear to have performed with great fidelity the duties required of them, and as the result of their labors, a large number of grants of land, returns of highways, and shares of commonage were entered upon the records. Henry Dow, one of the committee, died before the investigation was completed, and on the 9th of March, 1660, William Fuller was chosen to fill the vacancy.