Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: The Eagle House / The Ocean House / The Sea-View House
The Eagle House
South of Boar's Head, the shore, for a considerable distance, is covered with large rocks, submerged at high water; and, beyond this, there stretches a long reach of hard, sandy beach, furnishing an exceptionally fine drive-course and promenade. Back of the rocky portion, and for some distance farther, the land is arable; while high sand-dunes form a background to the smooth beach, separating it from the salt marshes that border the river and extend far up into the town. All this territory was for many years untenanted; but in 1826, the same year that David Nudd and company built the Boar's Head Hotel, Thomas Nudd, his nephew, perhaps foreseeing that this might become a favorite summer resort, built a one-story house at the point where the sandy beach begins, -- a house which has since been greatly enlarged and made profitable, in the way of renting rooms and furnishing dinners, by his son, Oliver, who has added stabling to the other business. From this nucleus, a village has sprung up, composed of permanent residences, hotels and summer cottages.
The Ocean House
The Sea-View House
In the afternoon of April 9, 1881, six or eight small houses on the lower beach were consumed by fire.