Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: Hampton Academy and High School
Hampton Academy and High School
The enabling act of 1872 was never repealed, though, as we have seen, the plan of union was frustrated for the time. The subject, however, did not pass wholly from the minds of its advocates, and after the removal of the Academy building, it began to be agitated anew. Opposition to the union had now died out, and September 14, 1885 became a memorable date in the recent history of education in the town, for the opening of HAMPTON ACADEMY AND HIGH SCHOOL, under the care of Mr. Jack Sanborn, of Hampton Falls, as principal. A year later Miss Maria Perkins, of this town, was secured as assistant. With these experienced and successful teachers at the head, and the pervasive and persuasive spirit of "the Doctor" everywhere present, prosperity was assured. The first class was graduated in June, 1887.
In 1889 a department of vocal culture was added to the curriculum of the school, to the manifest benefit of the students. The first teacher, Miss Morlena M. Dearborn, of Boston, resigned at the end of one year, to accept a position in the New Hampshire Conference Seminary and Female College, at Tilton; and in 1891, she received the appointment of teacher of Elocution, in the New England Conservatory of Music, Boston. The Hampton school, thus losing one good teacher, was fortunate in immediately securing another, in Mrs. Sarah Neal Harris, now resident here, but till recently, of Concord, who still continues at the head of this department.