Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: School Districts
Indeed, there was no law authorizing the division of towns into school districts till 1805. Nearly two years after the passage of this law, at the annual meeting in 1807, a committee of nine was chosen to district the town, according to law. The committee made four districts, and pointed out the extent of each on the different roads,s thus indicating the district to which each house belonged. This division remained without material alterations till 1845, when Robert Smith, Aaron Coffin, John D. Neal, Obed S. Hobbs and William Brown were chosen a committee, to consider how to redistrict the town.
A minority report was adopted, where by five districts were established by metes and bounds. One of them was subsequently divided, making six districts,numbered from one to six, and designated by their respective numbers; and this arrangement continued till school districts were abolished by law, in 1885.