Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: The Seabrook Separation From The Hampton Falls Church
The Seabrook Separation From The Hampton Falls Church
A counter petition was presented, January 1, 1766, by a committee chosen by the town, Hon. Meshech Weare, chairman, desiring that, if they be set off at all, it be absolutely, as a distinct town. The tatter petition prevailed, and the south part of Hampton Falls became the town of Seabrook in 1768.[Prov. Pap. IX: 373]
The dissenting church was organized about the first of November, 1764, under the Presbyterian form of government, and connected with the Boston Presbytery. It was composed principally of persons from the Hampton Falls church, as above stated. The meeting-house was built in 1763, and still remains standing in Seabrook, remodelled, as a Baptist church and town-house. Rev. Samuel Perley was the first and only Presbyterian pastor. He was ordained January 31, 1765, and remained till the beginning of the Revolutionary war. The next year, Mr. Wingate retired from the Hampton Falls church, and those who had withdrawn from his ministry to form the Presbyterian church returned and were readmitted.
After this there was no regular preaching at the Seabrook church for more than twenty years. About the year 1799, a new church was formed, on Congregational principles, and Rev. Elias Hull was settled as its pastor, continuing till his death, February 28, 1822. Then the church became scattered. Some removed from the place, some died, some went to other denominations, and two aged women alone remained. One of these lived to join the Line church, in 1837.