Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: The New Church At Rye / Mr. Gookin's Assistants
The New Church At Rye
In 1728, the selectmen were impowered to let out the hinder seat on the south side of the lower gallery, and to make a pew for the young women, at the east end of the women's lower gallery. The meeting-house, built in 1719, had two galleries, one above the other. The upper gallery was kept closed during the latter part of the time in which this house was occupied.
Mr. Gookin's Assistants