THE LITTLE SHARES
"That all the flats and beach grass to the southward from the pines, so called, to the River's mouth, belonging to the ox-commoners, shall be laid out within ten rods of the sea bank."
"That is the sea bank should extend further westward, the shares shall draw back and keep the same distance above-mentioned."
"That Dea. Josiah Moulton, Dea. Joseph Philbrick and Benjamin Dow shall be a committee to lay out the above-mentioned marsh, flats and beach grass."
At an adjourned meeting, November 14, 1749, the report of the committee was accepted, and the shares divided "by the last list, when the shares were drawed forever." This was the origin of what are still known as the "Little Shares."
At the annual town meeting, March 12, 1751, Jabez Smith, Esq., Dea. Jonathan Tuck and Mr. William Stanford were chosen "to examine into the accounts of the town treasurer and committees and selectmen for the year past, and make report to the town." This appears to have been the first board of auditors.