Joseph Dow's History of Hampton: The Gorges and Mason Grants
THE GORGES AND MASON GRANTS
In 1629, Mason received from the Council of Plymouth a new patent for all the land "from the middle of Piscataqua river and up the same, the farthest head thereof, and from thence northward, until sixty miles from the mouth of the harbor were finished; also, through Merrimack river, to the farthest head thereof, and so forward up into the land westward, until sixty miles were finished, and from thence to cross over land to the end of sixty miles, accounted from Piscataqua river, together with all the islands within five miles of the coast." The tract was called New Hampshire.
These grants and the expenditure of considerable sums of money by Captain Mason, in forming and subtaining the settlements a few years, were the grounds on which his heirs based their claim to the province, in the prosecution of which, they subjected the inhabitants to an expensive and tedious course of litigation. It has therefore seemed important to take some notice of the grants, although the town of Hampton was settled without any reference to them, and has never, in any way, derived from them the least benefit.