At North Beach, Hampton, N.H.
1899 - 1973
The junction of High Street and Ocean Boulevard, showing the Coast Guard station, the Spindrift Motel (the former Taybury Arms), and at right, the former Leavitt Homestead, (with the former "Barn Theatre" adjoining) now the Windjammer Motel (1961). At extreme right is the former "Palmer's Clamshell Restaurant."
The Leavitt Homestead and Barn Theatre at the end of High Street, with the U.S. Coast Guard Station in the lower right. This was the site of the first dwelling at the Beach, built in 1800. The Leavitt family began using it as a lodging house for the fishermen in the mid-1800s, and it was later enlarged and used for tourists. The barn became a theater in 1935, and was later a restaurant and motel, before being torn down in 1988. Leavitt's is now the Windjammer Motel (1997). (Photo courtesy Lane Memorial Library from the book "Hampton and Hampton Beach" by William H. Teschek - 1997)
A gun drill at the station, before 1913. When rescuing sailors from sinking ships, a line would be fired from the mobile cannon pictured here out to the ship. Seamen aboard the ship would then tie the line to the mast and rig up a breeches buoy which they could then use to make it to shore safely.
The U.S. Coast Guard Station, c. 1906. Situated on North Beach opposite the end of High Street, the station was opened in 1899 and performed life-saving and ship-rescue operations into the 1960s. The building was burned down in 1973 to make way for Bicentennial Park, which currently occupies the site. The Leavitt Homestead can be seen at left. (Photo courtesy Emile Dumont from the book "Hampton and Hampton Beach" by William H. Teschek - 1997)
A Coast Guard Station lifeboat, with passengers and crew. Despite the serious responsibilities shouldered by the crew of the station, there were few rescues to perform and they spent most of their time training and practicing. These exercises became a popular tourist attraction. (Photo courtesy John Genthner and Arthur Moody) from the book "Hampton and Hampton Beach" by William H. Teschek - 1997)
Crew of the Hampton Beach Coast Guard station, which was located at the end of High Street from 1899-1973. PIctured are, from front left, Wallace Mullin, Jasper Myers, officer in charge, Mickey the mascot, George LaMott Sr., Tom Searles and Charles Hunking. In the rear are Edward Blake and two unknown men.
Crew of a Coast Guard Lifesaving Station, possibly the one at North Beach in Hampton, sits down for a Thanksgiving dinner in 1905.
Fish houses & fish markets at North Beach with Coast Guard Station in background
The Coast Guard crew at the North Beach station. Left to right: Edward Messier, (unknown), (unknown), Real Ste. Marie, Carleton C. Scovill, Sr., Allen Hanscomb, Cleo Faulkingham & Hallie Larrabee. [Photo courtesy Mrs. Carleton C. Scovill, Sr. & Carleton C. Scovill, Jr.]
The new amphibious U. S. Coast Guard "Duck" with Coastguardsman Carleton C. Scovill, Sr. at the controls in a test run in front of the North Beach Coast Guard Station c. 1940s/50s.
"Bicentennial Park" formerly site of U.S. Coast Guard Station, North Beach.