2000 Appointment Calendar Photos

The Community Bank & Trust Company, 117 Winnacunnet Road, Hampton, N.H.

Scenes of Historic Hampton

Compliments of Community Bank & Trust Company
Hampton, New Hampshire -- (603) 929-2100

{Photos courtesy William H. Teschek, Lane Memorial Library}

[Website compiled by John M. Holman, Hampton History Volunteer]

-- JANUARY 2000 --
High Street:. Unlike other parts of Hampton, this stretch of High Street looking east from the intersection with Lafayette Road has changed little since the early 20th century. The large commercial block at left, known as the "Lane Block," was built by the Lane family in 1900, and has been home to numerous shops, restaurants and offices. The building at center, once owned by a Brown family has been home to a doctor's office and the Tobey & Merrill Insurance Agency.

-- FEBRUARY 2000 --
This pre-1900 view of downtown Hampton shows the center of town when it stood astride Exeter Road on both sides of the railroad tracks. The railroad crossing can be seen at the right. Most of these buildings were moved in 1900 when the railroad overpass was built, and the center of town was moved to its present location along Lafayette Road, where it has remained for the last 100 years. The large Shaw Block building pictured here, now stands at the south corner of the intersection of Lafayette Road and High Street.

-- MARCH 2000 --
Severe storms and heavy snow during the winter of 1923 led many to revert to horse-drawn conveyances. Here, Homer Johnson, left, drives a Boston Globe reporter to the beach on March 21, 1923, the day after fire destroyed several buildings, including the new beach fire station. The beach road was closed to automobile traffic for the first three months of the year.

-- APRIL 2000 --
A century-old view of the Dearborn Lumber Company, located on High Street across from the intersection with Dearborn Avenue. Driving the wagon is company employee, Percy Jenness. The company moved twice, under different owners, to locations across the street, finally ending up on the site of today's Dearborn House in the hands of the Merrill family, parents to former N.H. Governor Stephen Merrill. The building at back left was moved and remodeled as today's Hampton's American Legion Post #35 hall (formerly Grange Hall) and housed "The Hampton Theatre" from October 2, 1942 to March 31, 1951), at 69 High Street.

-- MAY 2000 --
Civil War veterans, Oliver H. Godfrey, Jeremiah Gilman Mace, Orlando L. Blake, Otis H. Whittier, Warren Perkins and Jacob T. Godfrey, await the September 1918 Carnival Week parade. Behind them is the Hampton Center Garage and F.E. Brooks Ford Service Center, which still stands, now under a different name, in Depot Square.

-- JUNE 2000 --
A rare view of the original Hampton Academy when it stood on the Meeting House Green, approximately where Tuck Memorial Museum stands today [at 40 Park Avenue]. Built in 1852 on the ashes of its predecessor, it was moved in January 1883 by 160 yoke of oxen and 20 heavy horses to the site of today's Hampton Academy Junior High School. It was razed in 1940 after the construction of the present Junior High. Both buildings served as the town's Hampton Academy & High School until the construction of Winnacunnet High School in 1957-58.

-- JULY 2000 --
An early view down Exeter Avenue at the south end of Hampton Beach:
(Inset:) Bathers on Hampton Beach in the days before the string bikini.

-- AUGUST 2000 --
The Bragg-Gove family in their home at Hampton River. Left to right in front of the house are: Civil War veteran, George Rix Rowe, an unidentified woman, Augusta Gove, Horace L. Bragg, Arthur L. Bragg, Helen Bragg, and Louis F. Gove. Their house was later moved to what is now Bragg Avenue to make way for the construction of the "Mile-Long" Bridge in 1900. (Inset:) E.L. Batchelder, right, and Charlie Palmer display some large cod at one of Hampton's fish houses, two of which still stand at the ocean opposite the end of High Street.

-- SEPTEMBER 2000 --
The Taybury Arms once stood on North Beach at the end of High Street where King's Highway enters: Opened in the early 1920's, it became the MacKenzie Arms in the 1940's, and in 1960 was renamed the Spindrift Resort Motel. The Spindrift burned in 1981 and was replaced by the Ocean Crest condominium complex.

-- OCTOBER 2000 --
This is an early view of Lafayette Road/Route One looking south from "Whittier's Corner," or the intersection with Winnacunnet Road. This pastoral scene is today completely different, as the road is lined on both sides with a multitude of businesses and restaurants, as well as a cinema complex and the Catholic Church. Trolleys ran on the tracks seen here for the first quarter of the last century.

-- NOVEMBER 2000 --
Early view of the Hampton Depot train station: The ["Eastern"] Railroad first came to Hampton in 1840, and passenger service was available here until 1965. (Inset:) Delivery wagons parked at the Hampton Depot, early 1900's. At right is DeLancey's Freight and Express wagon. The water tower was used to supply steam engines with water for their boilers.

-- DECEMBER 2000 --
This once popular Hampton Christmas scene features Santa and his reindeer atop Lamie's Tavern in the center of town. (Inset:) Inside the restaurant, which still exists today under a different name, three waitresses, including Gladys McCormack Ring (center) take a moment to pose for the camera.

Forward to 2001 Hampton Historic Calendar -- Return to Table of Contents