1999 Appointment Calendar Photos

The Community Bank & Trust Company, 117 Winnacunnet Road, Hampton, N.H.

Scenes of Historic Hampton

Compliments of Community Bank & Trust Company
Hampton, New Hampshire -- (603) 929-2100

{Photos courtesy William H. Teschek, Lane Memorial Library}

[Website compiled by John M. Holman, Hampton History Volunteer]

-- JANUARY 1999 --
The General Jonathan Moulton house, which stands at the corner of Drakeside and Lafayette Roads. Moulton (1726-1787) was one of Hampton's more famous historical figures -- explorer, landholder, Indian fighter, merchant, politician, Revolutionary War Colonel and, eventually, a general. A series of legends involving ghosts and deals with the devil have made him one of Hampton's more colorful sons. Moultonboro, N.H. was named after him.

-- FEBRUARY 1999 --
Albert A. Brown with Willard Emery at the wheel, Ca. 1910.

-- MARCH 1999 --
The "Mile-Long Bridge" over the Hampton River connecting Hampton and Seabrook beaches. Casino owner and beach developer, Wallace Lovell, and the trolley company began construction of this bridge in May, 1901. It opened to the public a year later, just in time for the summer season at the beach. The 4,923-foot bridge, being just 350 feet short of a mile, was the longest wooden structure of its type in New England, if not the world. It was located just west of the present bridge, which replaced this one in 1949.

-- APRIL 1999 --
In this view, taken from the Exeter Road railroad bridge in the early 1900's, can be seen the train station at right and the Odd Fellows building in the distant center. The Odd Fellows building was built in 1895 and burned in 1990, a total loss.

-- MAY 1999 --
Hampton veterans, and possibly some Boy Scouts, lining up on Lafayette Road in the center of town early in the century, perhaps on Memorial Day. Standing from right to left are members of the Grand Army of the Republic, Civil War veterans: the Rev. John A. Ross, honorary member; Tom L. Perkins; Jeremiah Gilman Mace with the flag; John S. Gilman; Orlando L. Blake; George Dow of Salisbury; Henry Perkins, honorary member; John W. Warner; Oliver H. Godfrey; and Otis Marston.

-- JUNE 1999 --
Hampton's famous old elm tree. This elm spread its stately limbs over Elmwood Corner on Winnacunnet Road (at the intersection with Landing Road) from about 1773 until it was infected by Dutch Elm disease and cut down in 1959.

-- JULY 1999 --
The car barn of the trolley company, (right) built in 1897 and burned in 1907. The power house of the Exeter & Hampton Electric Company (left) was used until 1927. The buildings (at this location) have changed since this photo was taken. They stand at the southwest corner of Timber Swamp Road and Exeter Road. Prior to 1939, they were converted into a community hall, basketball court and skating rink. After that it was the home of the Hamptons' American Legion Post #35 until 1962, [when they purchased the Grange Hall at 69 High Street.] It has held a variety of businesses since then.

-- AUGUST 1999 --
The Boar's Head Hotel, situated high up on Boar's Head, was opened in 1827 by David Nudd as the Hampton Beach Hotel. It was purchased by Colonel Stebbins H. Dumas in 1866 and was destroyed by fire in September 1893.

-- SEPTEMBER 1999 --
Henry Hobbs with the E. G. Cole Co. delivery wagon, about 1910. The numerous bags of grain indicate Hampton was essentially an agricultural community. During the cold winter of 1923, Hobbs used runners on his wagon for 110 consecutive days, the most in his 18 years as a delivery man. On one trip to the beach that winter, snows even stopped sleds, so the delivery men joined together, loaded 400 pounds of groceries on a bobsled and pulled it across the marsh, falling in creeks, to the beach. There from one house they telephoned beach residents to come help distribute the goods. It took them over two hours to walk back to the village.

-- OCTOBER 1999 --
Benjamin Blake (1871-1962) opposite 232 Mill Road. This area of town was once referred to as "Blakeville" because of the large number of Blakes who lived there.

-- NOVEMBER 1999 --
The shoe factory on the corner of High Street and Dearborn Avenue, circa 1900. A fire gutted the fourth floor in 1961, reducing the building to its present three stories. It was renovated in 1977 and now contains several business.

-- DECEMBER 1999 --
The town pump on Exeter Road, before 1900, in front of what is now Lamie's [Tavern] (1999). This popular horse-watering spot is being used by Contractor Harry Brown (left) and Dr. Marvin Smith. The Howard G. Lane house at left was moved to 8 Dearborn Avenue when the railroad overpass was constructed in 1900. In this picture, it stands approximately where the rear of Sanel Auto Parts is today (1999). The Shaw Block at right was also moved and now stands in the center of town opposite the [Hampton Center] hardware store

Forward to 2000 Hampton Historic Calendar -- Return to Table of Contents