1937 - Souvenir Edition of Hampton and Hampton Beach - 1937
Hampton Union & Rockingham County Gazette, August 12, 1937
[The following articles are courtesy of the Hampton Union and Seacoast Online. Most of the photos are NOT included in the original newspaper articles.]
Much time and effort has been spent in securing the information that is invaluable in the making of this issue possible, for the readers of the Hampton Union. Hampton Beach is known today as New Hampshire's "Recreational Playground" outstanding among the shore resorts of this section.
When plans for the Greater "Hampton Beach" have been consummated New Hampshire's recreation playground will have achieved national fame. Such is the phenomenal growth of Hampton Beach from a humble beginning in 1800 to the greatest Summer Resort on the whole Atlantic Seaboard.
The Union extends much credit and thanks to the many local families whose ancestors date back to the first settlers of the Town for the help they have given us by going through the old family files and records which have so carefully been preserved as an honored treasure of the household. Much thanks is given to all those who have helped in any way to make this review a success. We greatly appreciate the held and kindness shown the staff of The Hampton Union by the citizens and mechants who have enabled us to produce this history. This is our second attempt at such an issue and we trust it will meet with favor and interest to the many thousands of readers.
EDWARD S. SEAVEY, Editor and Publisher
The Star Laundry, a service for everyone, is an up-to-date organization featuring quality and economy with a complete laundry service for the summer throngs who enjoy the pleasures of Happy Hampton Beach.
This organization has served the beach for many years and has aided in the growth of the greater Hampton Beach.
Originally a small plant, the Star Laundry has grown into its own with a fleet of delivery trucks and guaranteed delivery of its work. It is an up to date laundry with the most modern facilities to be obtained.
Just shop the yellow truck or call Exeter 231-W when you wish to send your laundry to be cleaned.
In 1930 the late Joseph Dolan opened a real estate office in the Casino building, where he specialized in renting and leasing summer cottages to the guests of Hampton Beach. Here he remained in this building until 1933. In November of that year the community was shocked to hear of his death. In the spring of 1934 the business was carried on by a nephew and niece of the late Mr. Dolan under the same name of Dolan’s Real Estate.
Here Mr. John Dolan and his sister, Miss Helen Dolan continued to carry on the prosperous business of their uncle and moving out of the Casino building to their present location on B street where they have their private office. Also, they have been successful in renting and leasing cottages during the current season, Mr. Dolan is one of the popular young men of the beach area and is a member of one of the popular orchestras on the beach while his sister is one of the young ladies who sells tickets at the Casino Ballroom. Both are active in the young members of the beach society and have a large acquaintance and many friends.
One of the most popular restaurants in Hampton which is located in the center of the town on Lafayette highway, route No. 1, is Johnston’s Restaurant, which has established quite a reputation in serving the finest foods and dishes for many miles around. This restaurant was purchased from Mr. Raymond Parramore by Leslie D. Johnson who had many years’ experience in the restaurant business. On January 1, 1937 Mr. Johnston took possession and thoroughly renovated the interior by painting the booths, walls and woodwork, He installed Venetian blinds and a new ventilation system. Here the atmosphere is cool and pleasant even on the hottest day. The kitchen is most modern service can be had by excellent service of 16 chefs and waitresses. There is a large selection of choice foods from a sandwich to a full course dinner. Mr. Johnston has maintained an efficient staff of loyal workers which assures the visiting guest of a homelike atmosphere with quality food.
Throughout the entire summer months the Johnston restaurant will give 24 hour service to the many tourists who may be traveling throughout the night. This accommodation alone is a distinct asset as there are no other types of this service in Hampton.
Mr. Johnston is very strict concerning the neatness and cleanliness of his restaurant. This fact is well proven by the high rating he maintains with the State Board of Health.
The start of the 1937 season marked the second year of Lewis B. Marble and his charming wife Emma running the most famous theatre house on the North Shore beach, “The Barn”. For many years the barn was lying idle until Lewis Marble, who was formerly connected with Warner Bros. theatres and who served with them in the capacity of a licensed operator and assembly manager, came along to install machine talkies in the Barn for an electrical sound company.
Mr. Marble at once saw the advantageous point of this time-worn and historic building, one of the first constructed on Hampton Beach, inasmuch as its ancient wood proved to be a tone conductor as sweet and mellow as if you were right in the same place as where the actors are working.
Mr. Marble immediately predicted the success of this theatre for sound, being so natural and the setting so realistic that it gave movie lovers something new in soundproof insulation, neither deadening nor distracting from the quality of the tone, The old beams have a mildness, mellow with age and no wires nor other handicaps to interfere. So Mr. Marble found that the Barn would be ideal for modern talkies and he and Mrs. Marble leased the building. Today they are showing all the latest first-run pictures as fast as they are released from the studios.
Mr. Marble’ past experience with Warner Bros. Theatres has proved very valuable to him in the selection of latest showing and in the management of the Barn theatre.
Owen J. Boston
Looking back some 22 years we find the beginning of what is today a thriving business. Back in 1914 the year before the first great fire Mr. Boston started a small industry which was destined to become known for many miles about. Goldenrod kisses are the last word in the minds of many. Karmelkorn is another specialty.
Thousands yearly purchase this Karmelkorn, and proclaim its superiority in every way to many other like confections – proving Happy Hampton has the best to offer its visitors.
Mr. Boston takes an active interest in the building up of a greater Hampton Beach. It may well be said that he was one of several to help make this summer resort the finest of its kind along the Atlantic Coast.
Among the young and progressive members who are connected with the real estate business is a young, industrious man by the name of Leo Dupuis, who has been quite successful in developing a real estate office which he opened May 15, 1935 on H Street, catering to a select class of people. He has been very successful in renting and leasing cottages during 1935.
Upon reopening his office he found that the quarters were too small so he moved from that location to his present site on Marsh Avenue just opposite the Hampton & Seabrook Gas Co. Early last year he started to circulate a petition to change the name of Marsh Avenue to Sunset Avenue. This name Mr. Dupuis thinks would be much more suitable for the Avenue. Mr. Dupuis has taken an active part in all important meetings of real estate men since coming to the Beach. Besides being a member of the Chamber of Commerce he is also a member of the New Hampshire Real Estate Association.
The proprietors of the Wilbert hotel (Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Miller) are undoubtedly two of the most prominent hotel folks on Hampton Beach, as they have been continually in the hotel business since 1912 when they first opened the old New Hampshire cottage, now known as the Malcolm. Here they remained for a number of years until they purchased a vacant lot adjoining the Malcolm and built the present Wilbert. This was in the year of 1915 where they have been ever since. The Wilbert has 32 guest rooms which are large, airy and very comfortable. Mr. Miller has seen many changes on the beach and can recall when he was the only one who ran a meat market and grocery store for a while until the demand on the Wilbert became so much the he had to devote his whole time in the care of that famous hotel.
Mrs. Miller relates some of her experiences in the management of the hotel and she says that some of her guests came in when they were children and have been coming each year until today they come in with their own children. Her chief motto of running the hotel is to make the guests feel the same as if they were in their own home.
Cutler’s Sea View House
Radiant in its new coating of paint, picturesque in its architecture and ideal in its location, Cutler’s Sea View Hotel under the management of Emma S. Montville is dispensing the cordiality and good cheer that makes the traveler at once feel at home.
Mellow and pleasant are the memories which are associated with this famous hostelry. Started as a small cottage by John G. Cutler of Exeter about ten years after the close of the Civil War and soon with other buildings added; burned down in the fire of 1885 which destroyed the Ocean House and numerous small houses and rebuilt almost as it stands today in thirty days, this house has welcomed thousands of visitors, many of the as much prominence in the world, and established a name for excellent hospitality that spread from sea to sea. On its registers have been written the names of guests from every state in the Union and from almost every nation of Europe. Among the presidents of our country, James A Garfield, and Benjamin Harrison; Gen. Robert E. Lee, James G. Blaine, and Thomas E. Reed, Sen. William E. Chandler, and hosts of other politicians, every governor of New Hampshire during the period of Mr. Cutler’s life, John Greenleaf Whittier, Oliver Wendell Holms, Julia Thaxter and many other poets; Tom Thumb, the midget, John L. Sullivan, the pugilist, Phineas T. Barnum, the showman, and many others in the public eye are but a few of those who have eaten and slept here. Grover Cleveland was the last ex-president to register here, Millionaires and men of ordinary means, legislators and members of the electorate, inventors and men of science have joined with the great mass of those who have sought healthful recreation and pleasure at this inn.
Every room echoes the pleasant laughter and good spirits of innumerable satisfied guests. The hallways have been trodden by thousands of hungry people anxious to again set down at the tables which experience has taught them to know will be laden with viands tempting, delicious and health building.
Cutler’s, its hospitality not one whit diminished through the long years, still sends out its cordial invitation to traveler, vacationist and those who seek, pleasant, wholesome relaxation and rest.
The reputation at Cutler’s for an excellent cuisine is still being cherished. Fish caught at sunrise are served at lunch or dinner; vegetables come from nearby farms and in season the sweet corn is picked fresh daily. Miss Monteville makes a personal supervision when purchasing the choice of meats which are served so tender and delicious.
She also invites each vacationist of Hampton Beach to visit the famous old Cutler house which has so many memories of the past.
Hampton has the distinction of having one of the youngest master barbers in the State operating in his own barber shop.
Mr. Orville A. Gauthier, who formerly lived in Exeter and learned his trade in that town, came to Hampton on February 20 of this year when he purchased the barber shop he now occupies. He is congenial and youthful looking, but an expert at shaving and hair cutting, Since coming to this town he has built up a large following of well satisfied customers.
Ronald’s, Inc., One of Hampton’s growing business establishments, located on Lafayette Road is not only conveniently situated but has by its many improvements and carefully planned additions become an attractive asset to the community.
Carrying its own line of gas, Ronald’s 60-70-80, there different grades which have proven themselves to the many motorists who have used them; dealing in tires and lubes of dependable, well known makes which are sold under guarantee and at money saving prices; handling a line of useful and ornamental pottery; this concern has embarked in also another line which because of its widespread range of dealings may help put Hampton on the map as a manufacturing center in this land.
Alexander M. Ronald, the owner, is a resident of Hampton, but was born and brought up in Exeter. Walter Witham, the manager, is well known here as a member of the Hampton Chamber of Commerce.
In extending the thanks of the corporation to those who have shown their friendly interest by their patronage and in many other ways, Manager Witham wishes to call attention to the things which the concern has accomplished in the past year.
The employees who at the beginning numbered but two and were on 12-hour shifts, have been increased to seven and have an eight hour day.
The original main station which was a building 16x18 feet, housing all the equipment, has given way to the present main building which has a frontage of 76 feet and a depth of 50 feet. There has also been added a building 20 x 35 feet in which is housed a display of garden and gift pottery, which is attracting much attention and many visitors.
A wood working machinery equipment has been added which is not turning out certain distinctive varieties of home furniture and other kinds of work which is already serving the eastern half of the United States and is rapidly growing. It is from home workshops like these that the great industries have developed. From these small workshops often located in odd places in the small villages and towns and sometimes manned only by fathers and sons, have grown the great factories of the nation
Here at Hampton, Ronald’s Inc., is developing certain lines which it is believed have artistic and commercial value and is hoped will earn recognition and renown. The public is cordially invited to look over these products.
Because of growing interest in boating throughout the country generally and particularly in Hampton, it is hoped to bring out a line of boats of considerable range. Those who are interested in this branch and specially invited to call and talk over their wants.
Ronald’s Inc., maintains a 24-hour service where ready, willing attendants take pleasure in supplying the needs of the motorists and where prices and values make it worthwhile for motorists to come. The attractiveness of the place makes it more agreeable while it does not increase the cost of any of its commodities – gas, oil, tires or tubes.
Always seeking to improve and increase the scope of its services, Ronald’s in the near future is planning to add a Guan Lift and guns thus assuring patrons the best of service for greasing, oiling and added convenience in changing oil. Whatever kind of automobile or truck one uses, a heartfelt invitation is extended to all to supply their needs in gas, oil, tires and tubes at Ronald’s.
The Hampton Beach Casino
With the railroad came the plans for a large and spacious Casino erected the following year on its present location after much controversy as to where the building should actually stand. The first location offered was somewhat South of the Cutler Hotel but unsatisfactory arrangements came about and after deliberation the present site was chosen and construction by the Hampton Street Railway was underway.
The grand opening was set for July 27, 1898 and many of our prominent citizens will never forget that day. This marked a milestone in the progress of Happy Hampton Beach.
The developments grew rapidly and before long an addition was necessary. Finally the property changed hands and the Casino was under the management of those two great figures, Grave & Ramsdell. They piloted the course of the Casino through to the year 1926 – establishing daily dancing, promoting finer feeling among the summer visitors and encouraging guests to make Hampton Beach their summer playground.
Graves & Ramsdell sold their interests to the present owners the Casino Associates in 1926. With the change in management came the greatest change in modern times of the greater Casino. They immediately erected the finest ballroom in New England beautifully decorated and magnificently arranged to accommodate the throngs that daily patronize the pavilion. Contrary to the Memorial Day openings of old the Associates took advantage of fine weather to set their date as of April 19 of each year. The public may not take advantage of beautiful May weather and drop down to Hampton Beach on either Wednesday or Saturday evening for the pleasure of a dance or two.
It is to be noted that the Casino Associates each year bring back to the beach many popular dance bands the number 1 orchestras in the country being included; such as the outstanding conductors Rudy Vallee, Ina Ray Hutton, Mal Hallett and others as popular.
Hundreds dance to the tunes of the settled orchestra every day. Midnight dances are a feature. If one looks back on the old dance hall now one of New Hampshire’s finest bowling alleys one wonders how the public ever enjoyed dancing in such a crowded condition. Returning once again to the new and beautiful dance pavilion, one must admit that the lighting arrangements are unique. A color scheme supreme.
The waltz is featured by the crystal ball arrangement and actually makes one feel in ecstasy and quite alone amid many such couples. The music always soothing, dreamy, with harmonizing rhythm; always echoing sweet music with a majestic touch. Among the superfine dance bands Hampton Beach has enjoyed for a season or more we find the Pennsylvanians, the former Hotel Bancroft orchestra, Hughie Connors conducting, and the Royal Arcadians under the personal direction of Jimmy Murphy. Upon leaving the dance one may care for a bite to eat – a very fine lunch counter near the entrance to the Hall will quickly fill the needs of anyone. Quick service, fine food and reasonable prices, topped off with polite counter men make you feel happy and assure a fine evening with your companion.
Walking further down the platform one may enjoy bowling on one of the many allies which are well manned with experienced pin boys and embarrassing delays are therefore totally nil. The Casino Novelty Shop carries many interesting items and is the mecca of souvenir hunters who are sure to find just what they want for the family at home.
A cool refreshing drink may be obtained from one of the finest and most up-to-date bars to be found – then we pass on to a new feature credited to the Association alone – the Casino Cafeteria, where one may order a sandwich or a dinner and feel he may receive the very best and quickly. The cafeteria is neatly arranged with tables for four seating some 80 people. Ventilation is a feature, no obnoxious odors, marvelously cooled even on a sweltering day. One is always served by courteous young men in a remarkable manner.
[More on the Hampton Beach Casino]
B. T. Janvrin Sons Co.
The visitor passing along the Lafayette road, through Hampton Falls recalls that here Whittier spent his last days and sees on his right the historic tavern, “Wellswood” where in the days long gone by, many whose names are illustrious have feasted, danced and slept. The glance naturally turns across the road and is attracted by the line of large buildings comprising the lumber yards and warehouses of B. T. Janvrin.
Here more than sixty years ago, Edwin Janvrin established and built up a large lumber business and here as a mere boy B. T. Janvrin, with all the enthusiasm of youth, entered heart and soul into the plans of his father working early and late until the name of Janvrin was known along the ocean front from Newburyport to Portsmouth and in the interior from Exeter to Lawrence.
Undoubtedly Hampton Beach owes more to the Janvrins than to any other family for its development. They were the first large builders. When Wallace Lovell came with his street railroad he secured their cooperation and assistance in making plans to house the people which his road would bring. The result was a fine set of lasting monuments to the elder Janvrin in the Casino, the Ocean House, the cottage on B street, the first Janvrin to replace the smaller cottages, the Pelham, the Hillcrest, and Avon, the first Ashworth all of which were either built or the lumber supplied by Edwin Janvrin with the close association of his son B. T. Janvrin.
It is interesting to know that the Ocean House is a genuine Hampton product, built from lumber grown in Hampton, milled in Hampton, and in whose construction the labor was largely done by Hampton people, a portable mill having been placed in the woods near where the Hampton car barns are now located from which the lumber came.
After the death of his father in 1913 B.T. Janvrin took over the business and the entire establishment and has greatly developed it during the years which have followed. The Dance Carnival, the Hampton Beach garage and more than two score cottages of the past years, are built with the substantial materials from the B.T. Janvrin plant. His activities however are by no means limited to Hampton Beach for its near neighbor Salisbury Beach has been supplied with building materials for a great number of its large and small structures from these Hampton Falls yards. Every day Mr. Janvrin’s trucks carry lumber to other places such as Newburyport, Newbury, Merrimac, as well as the numerous adjacent towns,
The group of building which loom from the Lafayette road reveal themselves as a more size and covering greater territory when one begins to go about them. Here is carried a most complete line for rough and finished lumber of the various kinds required by builders, pine, hemlock and others. Inside and outside trim, shingles, clapboards including Birds building and roofing papers the leading brands of cement and in fact everything that goes into the building of a house – even to the tacks for the carpets.
In 1927 the retail business was taken over by Louis B. and Richard M. Janvrin, who now run this part of the business, known as B. T. Janvrin Sons Co., Mr. B. T. Janvrin devoting all of his time to the whole part of the business.
Mr. Janvrin Senior besides his large wholesale lumber business has several other interests which claim considerable attention. Of these the Portsmouth Trust Company of which he is a director, and the Granite State Fire Insurance Co., in which he also is a director take the most time.
Mr. B. T. Janvrin has served his state as a member of the Legislature of 1911-1912 and was a member of the State Forestry Commission which has done much toward conserving the natural wealth of the state. He has a pleasing personality and impresses one as being a man of great energy, resourcefulness and dependability.
He is a splendid mixer, a member of the blue lodge of Masons of Exeter and the DeWitt Clinton Commandery of Portsmouth. Above all Mr. Janvrin is a man of widely extended friendship.
During the present year the Co. mention above has furnished lumber and cement for the new State bath house, a twenty room dwelling on K Street, as well as several smaller cottages on the beach.
There is no more familiar figure engaged in the manufacturing of the leather for the shoe industry than Charles E. Greenman. For almost a half century the Charles E. Greenman Co., located on High Street, about 50 yards in off main highway route No. 1 in center of Hampton, has been busily engaged in the manufacture of leather soles of all kinds of shoes. It was founded in ‘88 by the late Chas. E. Greenman, Sr., in Haverhill, but in 1919 it moved from that city to its present location in Hampton. Here it employs mostly all local help. Last year’s output totaled more than 5,000,000 pairs of outer soles alone. These were used in the manufacturing of men’s new shoes and were shipped to all parts of the United States and some foreign countries.
The factory is modernly equipped with all the latest up-to-date machines. The structure of the factory is of wooden type with the latest and most up-to-date sprinkler system. Two years ago an addition was made to the plant to make room for increased orders. The founder of the business was actively engaged in it up to the time of his death which occurred in 1925. His son Charles E. Greenman, Jr., then became active manager which position he still holds. There are a number of employees who have a long service records with the company. Mr. G. Sumner Fall holds the longest record which covers over 41 years of continuous service entering the employ of the company in the year 1896. It has been said by the officials of the company that Mr. Fall is still as active and alert as he was 41 years ago.
Another gentleman who boasts of a long record is David Hamilton who covers 29 years of service and still another who is a good runner-up for second place is Benjamin Diemoch, with a continuous service of 28 years. These records speak for themselves. The valuation of the factor is about $50,000 with a production record of over $1,000,000 value per year. The Winchester Co. was founded in 1919 as an associate company to the Charles E. Greenman Co. and it is engaged in the manufacturing of turn and molded leather counters and shanks which are used in construction of shoes. It is located in the same building as its parent company. It employs about 70 men and 4 salesmen. At the present rate of orders coming in the factory expects to be operational at full capacity for some time to come.
Bradford Shoe Company is engaged in the manufacturing of woman’s novelty slippers as well as men’s house slippers. It was founded in 1930 by Daniel J. O’Leary with C. R. Kershaw, moving here from Haverhill in January 1936. It has built a large wooden factory at a cost of $18,000 and employs more than 200 people mostly from Hampton and nearby towns. With the factory running products out every day to all parts of the country the Town of Hampton will soon be known far and wide. We as Hampton’s citizens are proud of the industries which have brought the name of Hampton to four corners of the globe.
One of the most complete stocks of Woman’s Wearing Apparel on the beach is the Elsie’s Specialty Shop located in the Casino building next to the post office. This store is operated as a branch from Elsie’s Women’s Store of Lowell, Mass., and has all the latest styles in beach wear, such as swimming suits, lingerie negligee, house coats, sweaters, shirts, flannel robes and many other necessities which are so important in the styles of the well dressed woman. Elsie’s also carries a full line of high class first-grade toilet preparations. This store very soon will announce an advance showing of the latest fall merchandise for women. One thing about Elsie’s is that anything in the store can be purchased at city prices.
Quinn Real Estate
In writing fact and faction about Hampton Beach in this historical issue we could not overlook such a prominent man as the late Mr. Lancelot Quinn, who had helped to play such an important part developing the building of Hampton Beach.
In the year 1912 the late Mr. Quinn opened a real estate office in the Strand Theatre building on the boulevard. Here he remained until 1922 when he then moved his office to its present location on B Street. Among the interesting activities of his life about Hampton Beach were the developing in 1915 of Highland Crest now known as Church Street and also the developing two years later of Surf Side Park.
In 1912 Mr. Quinn acted as agent in the sale of the Avon Hotel from George Ashworth to its present owner, Mrs. Ethel Powers Uhlig and again as agent when Michael Cashman of Newburyport purchased what is known as the Cozy Corner building on the corner of Marsh Avenue and Ocean boulevard.
He was very active in the selling of property and renting of cottages and chose with care the people to whom he rented and always had the standards of Hampton Beach at heart, where even today this tradition is carried on by Quinn Real estate office.
In 1932 Miss Marion Quinn became associated with her father, acting as bookkeeper and office girl. In 1933 Mr. Quinn passed away. The following year Miss Marion Quinn took full charge and has been very successful in conducting the business. She recently purchased the Brown estate the beautiful home on the Ocean Boulevard and has renovated it modernistically for her own use.
The proprietors of the Helena Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Powers, came to the beach in 1922 and have operated the Helena continuously ever since. Their guests have come back each year ever since Mrs. Powers has taken over the management some 15 years ago.
The Helena, situated on Hampton Beach Boulevard, overlooking the ocean and only three minutes walk from the Casino, with all modern conveniences. Attractive comfortable living room and a large roomy veranda facing the ocean, make it the ideal place for rest and recreation.
Many guests can be accommodated at the Helena. Large, airy, high studded and comfortable rooms with bath, hot and cold water, assures our guests a real vacation.
The Dining Room is completely equipped for the service and comfort of our guests. Tables are arranged for two, three and four people.
The food is wholesome. Fresh vegetables from nearby markets are especially enjoyable and the clear sea breezes make sleep and appetite a natural result of visiting this famous resort.
Reservations may be made by applying to Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Powers, Props.
F. Wilbur Jewell
Prominent among the gas and oil dealers of Hampton is F. Wilbur Jewell, whose new station has just been established in Hampton Center. Although Mr. Jewell’s owner-managership here goes back to 1932, during these five years he has built up a thriving business and established a reputation for dependability of service that is known far and wide.
The new super station gas station which is a beautiful brick structure and has a modern, clean rest room, is a convenience to many motorists. It has a large open driveway and can be approached very easily in either direction from the Lafayette highway Route No. 1. Those desiring to purchase gas will find Super Shell and Shell Ethyl on hand besides oil and greasing. The new grease pit has been arranged so that greasing and oil change can be made very easily.
Besides running the gas station Mr. Jewell is also in the fuels and range oil business which he has carried on for quite some time.
To insure delivery to his customers at all times, he had added to his original equipment of one truck in 1932, one truck each fall. Thus he now has a fleet of delivery trucks of the most modern type ready at all times to supply the needs of his customers.
That he might maintain an adequate supply he installed a 6,000 gal. storage tank in 1933, adding double tanks with 24,000 gals. additional capacity in 1934 and this year has increased this capacity 61,000 gals.
Mr. Jewell also sells and installs as well as services oil burners of the most approved type and is always pleased to advise and give prices on installations. He has his own trucks for transportation of fuel oil both for his own supply and for other dealers.
Besides handling the well known line of Shell and Super-Shell gas and Golden Shell Motor Oil, the excellent qualities of which are known to all motorists, his stations do auto greasing, changing of oil, and will carry a large stock of tires of the highest quality. Throughout the summer, 24 hours service is maintained for all one’s needs in gas and lubricating oils, for range of heating system oil burners and service and fuel oil, for tires, as well as to have one’s machine properly greased and lubricated, visit F. Wilbur Jewell’s station and be satisfied.
With the dawn of the 1937 season at hand we find a new 1937 up-to-date café opening for the first time under the management of Mrs. Alice E. Hoyt, who also acts as the hostess. The Hoyt Café is located on the southerly end of Marsh Avenue near the junction of the Boulevard. If has an exterior build in the shape of an ell and there is a large airy window for every booth. It is bright and pleasant: the waitress service is pleasing and efficient: the food is of the best quality and they specialize in the serving of steaks, chops, lobster and sea food.
Mrs. Hoyt makes a charming hostess and her pleasing smile she has for every one makes them feel right at home. The serving quality of food is of the highest test and is prepared by a chef with many years experience.
One of the most interesting figures who has done a great deal for Hampton Beach is the late Lemuel C. Ring, who built the Ring block on the Boulevard and Bryon’s Garage on Marsh avenue just off the Boulevard. This garage started construction in the fall of the year 1919 and finished in 1920. The following year June 1921 the building was leveled to the ground by fire. Construction was started all over again, Mr. Byron Redman, son-in-law to the late Mr. Ring, took possession of it in 1922 and then an addition was made by him in 1924 which has since remained the same. This garage gives 24-hr. service throughout the summer months and services cars on greasing, oiling, and gas. It also has overnight storage. It has a large roomy floor space and can store many cars. It is centrally located on the main part of the beach, which makes it handy for motorists to park their cars.
Diamond C. Market
Fred and Victor Grandmaison are the proprietors of the one of the business markets on the Beach. It is the Diamond C. Market located just off the boulevard on Marsh avenue. They carry a complete line of groceries, meats and vegetables and offer free delivery service. They have their own bakery plant located in the building and keep several bakers busy making bread, cake and delicious pies. Their bakery products are sweet and wholesome and are made fresh daily.
On July 4th of this year Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Young, formerly of Manchester, N.H., opened to the public for the first time their new modern cabins and cottages which are located on Ocean boulevard, next to the famous Cutler house. These new cabins and cottages are well fitted with furnishings and have inner-spring mattresses on all beds, also a flush closet nearby on the same premises.
The Youngs have opened a small neighborhood grocery store for the convenience of the public and the tourist who stop over in these cabins. They carry a complete line of grocery supplies as well as newspapers and periodicals.
Boar’s Head Inn
Boar’s Head Inn is a house by the side of the sea indeed for from its cheery pleasant dining room one might almost drive off into the surf and many the day when stormy winds blow and howl that the spray beats up against the window panes which usually however give view out over pleasant if wide vistas of ocean. At night, the gleaming lights from light houses asea and ashore send their pleasant messages of guidance and always the fresh, wholesome, invigorating breezes bring zest and appetite from the sea. And if the immensity of this picture brings longing for the more solid aspects of nature, then a few steps to another window gives overlook on a scene that has no parallel within thousands of miles – a stretch of land rising high above sea level , brought hither centuries ago from far inland and deposited as the ice cap which covered the country slowly melted. On the side of this singular formation, the Boar’s Head Inn is located not too high up to make an uncomfortable climb by foot, easily reached by machine with ample parking space, and furnishing one of the finest views of ocean expanse, rocks and sandy beach that could be desired.
And with all these natural forces making for health and happy stay, the Lessee Manager, E. D. Cushman, has added the more humanizing ones of good food, excellent accommodations, fine, friendly service and those indescribable courtesies which make a stay here always a pleasure to be remembered and to be repeated as often as opportunity affords.
To the many families who come to spend vacation at Hampton Beach they will be surprised to learn of the convienence that is afforded them when they go out to do their daily shopping in the line of food supplies which can be purchased at the Casino Market distributors of S.S. Pierce food products as well as meats and fresh vegetables.
This beautiful, modern market is located in the south end of the casino building and carries a very fine line of first quality meats, groceries and vegetables. The proprietors of this market Messrs. Harry and Paul Hromada have been located here for 11 years and have given satisfactory service free delivery to the many satisfied customers who have been trading with them since they opened. The Casino Market runs a weekly special on several items of necessities at a great saving.
The meats they handle are of the finest western steer beef and S. S. Pierce brands speak for themselves. The vegetables are brought in fresh daily from nearby farms. The Casino Market is open from early morning to late at night and all day Sundays. There are six clerks in attendance at all times to insure prompt, courteous service.
The Epicure Market of St. Petersburg, Florida, is another market which the Messrs. Hromada run during the winter months and it has been very successful in the South.
Among the hotel people who are very popular at Hampton Beach are the proprietors of The Merrimac Inn Mr. and Mrs. William C. Keefe. The Merrimac is located on Ocean Boulevard. Mr. and Mrs. Keefe came to the Beach fifteen years ago. The guests who visit the Merrimac will find a home-like hostelry, noted all over New England for its congenial atmosphere, its air of happy relaxation and its excellent table. The Merrimac is located a little apart from the business section of Hampton Beach and not far from Great Boar’s Head. It is within fifty feet of the water and commands a beautiful vista of ocean to the south and east. Its spacious veranda is always swept by cool ocean breezes and there is a large parking space in the rear of the hotel for the convenience of guests who come by motor.
The Merrimac is comfortable. A great living room stretches across the entire front of the house with large plate-glass windows which command a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean with Cape Ann hazily outlined against the distant skyline to the southward. You’ll like the Merrimac living room. It spells comfort.
In the rear of the living room is a dining room with facilities for comfortable seating of ninety people. And the food is of a type that has consistently made friends for The Merrimac over a long period of years; fresh vegetables, eggs and fruit come daily from nearby farms. Sea-food is taken directly from the ocean and is placed before our guests in the dining room almost within the hour. Food is an all-important subject at The Merrimac and the table will please even the most discriminating epicure. You’ll like the food!
Mr. and Mrs. Keefe have created a large following among vacationists because of the friendly, homelike feeling that is felt when one spends a vacation at this popular inn.
Typical with its structure, and Colonial atmosphere, The Colonial Inn, located on the central part of Hampton Beach Boulevard is in its eleventh year under the management of Frank E. Nason, who purchased the property from Arthur Brown in 1926. Mr. Nason, who formerly was the manager of the Casino building and Ocean House for twenty years, took possession of the then Central House in 1926, and immediately set out to renovate the whole building. He installed hot and cold water in every room, added more bath rooms and toilets, papered and painted the walls, installed an automatic hot water heater and painted the outside of the building from a pale yellow to a cream white and then built 4 18-inch Colonial posts to give it the Colonial distinction. He laid a new floor on the large broad veranda which overlooks the beautiful beach. The lobby was outfitted with all new cushions and davenport and an old-fashioned fireplace with colonial style brick was remodeled until today one has nothing to imagine as far as a colonial setting is concerned.
The low mellow lighting effect harmonizes with the picture settings on the walls while overhead on the clerk’s desk is a big 7-point buck deer head mounted on a maple frame which Mr. Nason brought down on a hunting trip in the Maine woods. For the vacationist who stays at the Colonial, he will find nothing but home-like comfort in every detail as it is a hotel of rare setting.
With this publication of historical data of Hampton Beach and the prospects of the town and beach celebrating its 300th anniversary in 1938, we feel that this is an appropriate time to mention one of Hampton Beach’s hotel pioneers who has done much to promote the welfare of the beach and make it what it is today.
On July 21, 1868 George Ashworth was born in Haverhill, Mass., the son of Peter and Sarah (Butterworth) Ashworth. Educated in the public schools of the fast growing shoe city, Mr. Ashworth graduated and turned his hand toward leather board trade which he followed for a number of years. Mr. Ashworth went to Des Moines, Iowa, in the year 1887 but returned a short time later to Haverhill. Here he had an urgent desire to succeed. As Haverhill was growing rapidly at the time it was only natural for the young man to follow in the footsteps of the progress which the city was making in the building line. Here he learned the fundamentals of construction and home designing. The many hours of construction work gave him the practical ideas of beauty and comfort which became very useful when he built his hotels at Hampton Beach. He first came to the beach in 1900 when he built the Avon on B St. which he later sold to the present owner, Mrs. Ethel Powers Uhlig, in the year 1912. Later that year he built the Ashworth and rebuilt it on two occasions after complete losses by fire, and on each occasion a better and more beautiful edifice arose out of the one that had preceded it.
He has made a splendid success in the hotel business and his hostelry has always been noted for the dignity and comfort and its appointments and the excellence of its cuisine.
Mr. Ashworth is married, his wife, Grace Appleton Paul, being well known on Hampton beach.
George Ashworth has always been a leader in the community and has done much to develop Hampton Beach along the lines which have led to its pre-eminence among the Oceanside vacation places of the nation. In the course of these activities Mr. Ashworth has held many positions of responsibility and trust in the Hampton Beach Chamber of Commerce, in the Hampton Beach Development Commission, and the Hampton Beach Village Precinct, which has helped to form the present beach. He is a precinct commissioner and former president of Tuck Memorial Green association. He was one of the men responsible for the Memorial playground to its present high status among the free children’s playgrounds of New England.
The forward-looking and constructive citizenship of George Ashworth has made for him a large circle of sincere friends throughout the state and in this community where he resides.
In 1934 he was appointed a full fledged Colonel on Governor Ruby Laffoon’s staff of Kentucky. He has the seal from the secretary of state of this appointment. On his birthday, July 21 of this year, 1000 Boy Scouts of the Daniel Webster Council honored him by presenting him a miniature statue of a Boy scout in full dress uniform;
Mr. Ashworth is an active member of the Tercentenary committee for 1938 and should prove the finest event ever held at Hampton Beach.
The John C. White Memorial Playground
The beautiful and spacious playground located in the heart of happy Hampton Beach still remains the paradise of scores of youngsters daily who with their brothers or sisters spend many fine hours under the personal direction of skilled supervisors.
When the first playground was erected some 15 years ago there were only a few facilities for the use of the children. At that time the privilege was somewhat abused by the big children of twenty years of age and up. The Precinct finally took up the development in earnest and gradually [improved] the grounds until today when thousands proclaim that the John C. White Memorial playground is one of the finest to be found at any resort of the kind in the entire country.
When the Precinct first took the development it was decided to name the playground after one of the greatest personages that the beach has ever had – John C. White. Mr. White gave unlimited time to the development of Hampton Beach and died before he had finished his utmost desire to make Hampton Beach the greatest of its kind in the East. We are very fortunate, however to have in the Precinct many other gentlemen who took the plan to heart and worked for its finish. Rapidly now the development is progressing and when the final plan is complete we will have a playground second to none.
Today the playground of thousands of youngsters is very well equipped with swings, teeters, etc. with a matron in charge. Visitors of Happy Hampton Beach may leave their little ones in the Playground and feel that they will be well cared for and that they will be waiting there for them when they return. It is a most interesting spectacle to go to the John C. White playground and watch the little people at their play. Actually they have the time of their lives, playing in the sand and sliding down the chutes. Those responsible for the active development of the splendid recreation playground are to be commended for their efforts that they have so generously given.
“As famous as the beach itself” is not a self given phrase, but a well-earned slogan. This slogan was born out of merit alone so that today Mahoney’s is synonymous with Hampton Beach.
Fifteen years ago Mahoney’s opened its doors to Hampton vacationists. It was a different type of restaurant from the usual eating place that then dotted the beach. All electric it was, the urns, frankfort grill, and steam table. Paneled were its walls decorated with mural strips. And sparkling and clean it was the molded metal polished wood, and white marble do have the manner of sparkling.
But a shining array such as this does but play a second-fiddle role. “IT’S THE FOOD”. And that is the big reason for the popularity of Mahoney’s. Insistent always has Mr. Mahoney been that all foods be of first grade quality because he believes that quality is a primary factor in getting a repeat business. Even to the coffee Mr. Mahoney was insistent, trying out blend after blend until he struck one which has met universal acclaim. If it were not for the food its quality and manner of cooking and serving, Mahoney’s would have been relegated long ago to that category “just a lunch room”. No wonder it is, then, that today Mahoney’s enjoys the reputation of serving the finest food on the beach.
To those who have known the beach life throughout the year, there is no more familiar figure than Edward Langley, who, together with his wife, runs the Langley House, located on B St. Mr. Langley has been on the beach ever since 1900 when he opened a small hotel and received a following of summer guests. In 1921 they built the present Langley which has 32 guest rooms and which has proved highly popular. Mr. Langley has been very active in commercial and social life of the each, having served as a member of the Beach Precinct Board of Commissioners and a former director of the Hampton Beach Chamber of Commerce and also served as Vice President of that body. He was also one of the original members who drew up the plan for the beach carnival, which is now an annual event and which is looked forward to by thousands.
Mr. Langley has done much to help promote the activities at the beach and much credit should be accorded him for his public spirit.
The Street Railway
Up to the time of 1897 when the promoters of the Exeter and Hampton St. Railway Company laid the old car line track into the beach over Winnicummet road the beach had not shown any marked signs of becoming popular. But in 1897 when the first racks were laid and the start of the first Casino building in 1898 with many kinds of amusements; when transportation was made easy for people to come and go, then Hampton Beach started to grow.
Hampton Beach through the years of development and the course of construction has everything the average vacationist desires. It entertains more than 500,000 people each season. It offers every modern city convenience yet its restful air of seaside beauty has been wholly retained.
Hampton Beach is a clean beach. Clean in its sanitary aspects and clean in its population. You will enjoy Hampton’s Hotels, Cottages, Shops and restaurants. You will like the theatres, ballrooms, penny arcade and other places of clean, wholesome amusement.
Hampton Beach also has a wonderful free playground for the young children; a unique Singing Tower; splendid surf bathing and daily band concerts.
Summing it up all in all Hampton Beach is the ideal vacation spot where one may enjoy themselves to the hearts content. To those able pioneers who carefully and diligently planned the construction – started the foundation by laying out the roads, leveling off the ground, draining the marsh surface, filling in on the hollow land, tearing down of the large sand dunes, slowly but surely the long and tired process of eliminating the hazards that were detrimental to the welfare of the people were met by the fearless courage of these men. Till today Hampton Beach takes its place among the cleaner beaches along the coast.
Ralph T. Harris
Among the popular real estate men on Hampton Beach who has been active and aggressive in both civil and commercial affairs is a progressive young man by the name of Ralph T. Harris, who together with his wife operates a real estate office on the south end of the Boulevard just opposite Boston Avenue. Mr. Harris opened a real estate office in the Spring of 1935 and has been very successful, having specialized in renting and leasing of cottages and summer homes. Mr. Harris has been instigator and promoter of several large property sales and much credit must be given to him for promoting and selecting the groups of people that have rented property of him during the past two seasons.
Mrs. Harriett A. Harris, who is a graduate of Burdett’s business college in Boston, acts as the business manager of the firm. Mr. Harris is a booster of the Beach and is an active member of the Chamber of Commerce, also he attends the meetings very regularly. He is very interested in the forming of a Real Estate Association which movement there is now underway. He also is a member of the New Hampshire Real Estate Association.
Among the well known garage men in this area, none are any more familiar with the tourist needs than Louie W. Simons.
In the spring of 1936 Mr. Simons purchased the Casino garage on Marsh avenue. Here he opened this building for a general repairing line. Mr. Simons has a long service record as an expert mechanic, having been with Mitchell’s garage several years and an operator of Boar’s Head garage for five years. He is also connected with the Dooty’ Garage in St. Petersburg, Florida. To the motorist in and around Hampton Beach they will find the Casino Garage fully equipped to give them first class service in any of their many needs that they may want. Mr. Simons will certainly be pleased to renew his acquaintances of his many friends and advise them in the care of their cars.
Moulton’s Janvrin Hotel
The present proprietor of the Janvrin Hotel has been continuously engaged in the hotel business on Hampton Beach since 1909. Mr. Ralph A. Moulton came to Hampton Beach 27 years ago and started to work in the old Leavitt Hampton Beach Hotel, as a clerk. From there he came to Janvrin Hotel, then under the management of Mrs. Munsey, where he stayed for 18 years. The spring of this year Mr. William Clancy sold the Hotel Janvrin to Mr. Moulton who together with his wife, are well known at the beach and are active in beach affairs.
This prominent couple are also the proprietors of the Pennsylvania Restaurant at 320 Fourth street North, St. Petersburg. Fla. They are well able to serve their patrons and give the best of service which assures satisfaction.
The Janvrin Hotel at Hampton Beach is an ideal spot for the vacationist. It is centrally located and is easily reached from any point on the beach.
Among the recent opening of interest to the visitors at Hampton Beach is the Lobster Pot with its unique frontage of a nautical scene, its windows being trimmed with fishermen’s nets and at the entrance is a ship’s guide wheel which is enormous in size. The interior of the restaurant is beautiful in appearance with all tables covered with white linen table cloths and candles burning at night. The Lobster Pot features steaks, chops, sea food and sandwiches. The hostess in charge of the dinner room is Miss Annabel MacDonald, assisted by fifteen attractive waitresses. The staff in the kitchen is headed by Head chef Arthur Pelletier who has had many years of experience and is an expert chef.
Mr. Donald Dean of Lowell is the proprietor and he extends to everyone at the beach an invitation to come in and visit the lobster pot.
A very interesting bit of history concerning Hampton Beach can be found right here at the Lawrence House in the person of Mrs. A. H. Harrington, proprietor of this famous hotel. She came to the beach on July 21, 1901 and started a small rooming house on the present site of the Lawrence House. This humble beginning with six guest rooms lasted until it was destroyed by fire in 1915 when it was rebuilt to a capacity of 23 rooms. Here the Harringtons operated until again in June, 1923, the hotel was leveled to the ground by fire. But such courage as Mr. and Mrs. Harrington possessed was not to be discouraged with such an incident. So again they rebuilt. This time bigger and better than ever. Today the Lawrence House has a total capacity of 37 rooms and a large airy dining room which is operated on both the American and European plans.
It is a comfortable homelike hotel for vacationists and is very popular with young people. The Lawrence House enjoys and excellent class of patronage. Special care is given to the comfort of the guests. The large piazza overlooking the ocean offers the ideal place to rest. You can even play bridge or have refreshments.
When the Lawrence House was built Mrs. Harrington had only one purpose in mind and that was to take care of the guests in every way, even to the slightest detail.
Hampton & Seabrook Gas Co.
1914 was one of the outstanding years in the development of Hampton Bach with the ushering in of this year found the laying of the first gas line to what is today the greater Hampton Beach. Little was it realized in those days that in but a few years to come the little community would boast of thousands of visitors daily.
John Cashman of Haverhill in 1914 sponsored the lying of the Hampton Gas Company’s first pipe from the present toll bridge lines which consisted of a single to the present North Shore Hotel or what is perhaps better known as Dumas Corner. The gas manufactured in Haverhill, Mass. and piped twenty-six miles to Hampton Beach.
The service was efficient for a good many years but following 1924 such extensive drain on a small pipe proved to be too much but still the main was unchanged. The lack of gas plus pressure led to poor supply and in 1926 the company did not turn on the gas in Hampton until forced to do so by the public service commission in Concord. This was not until early in August that the company complied and shortly after that time the company filed for bankruptcy. Early in 1927 the receivers for the Hampton Gas Company sold the organization to J. P. Proctor of Franklin, N. H. at a public sale. The next year Mr. Proctor began to branch out the lines and extended services to resident of North Beach.
1929 was the beginning of efficient service which has been maintained ever since to many satisfied patrons. It was in that year the Colonial Utilities Co. purchased the Hampton Gas Co. and at the same time bought the Exeter Gas Light Co. It was at this time too that the company purchasing its gas from Haverhill found that unsatisfactory service could only be expected so went about building a plant of its own in Exeter and connecting that plant with its lines in Hampton; Hampton proper therefore receiving gas facilities for the first time in that year. The connecting line from Exeter to the Beach is of the latest type namely that of a welded high pressure type
Since 1929 there has been a series of rate reductions, the latest one being made in May, this year. Through these rate reductions the beaches and the town are now enjoying the lowest rate for gas service in the history of the company – in fact one of the lowest rates for gas service on the North Shore coast.
F. L. Moody has been the active manager of both offices since 1929 and has always seen to it that consumers are well satisfied with the service of the company.
As the present system services Seabrook as well as Hampton the Colonial Utilities Corp. named their local unit the Hampton & Seabrook Gas Co. and today many people are well pleased with the service that they have a right to expect from one of Hampton’s great assets – The Hampton & Seabrook Gas Co.
Arcade of Amusements
Contributing its share to the amusement and relaxation of those who visit Hampton Beach, the Arcade of Amusements in the Casino Building more popularly known as the Penny Arcade has become well known and deservedly popular.
Here have been assembled one of the best assortments and mechanical devices to entertain amuse and to develop skill as well which can be found at any resort of the size. In fact the discerning visitor who notes the name “Allen Hanschell Co., Inc., Amusement Ride Manufacturers, North Tonowanda, New York” will instantly recognize the fact that it is the product of the leading firms in this business in the United States.
For eight years the arcade and hobby house has been operated under the management of Eleanor Morgan Fuller with a constantly growing number of visitors who have found diversion and amusement here and whiled away time while waiting for buses or the moving picture theatre opening or the beginning of the band concerts. Here too are many games permitting friendly rivalry and producing both fun and skill.
The Penny Arcade makes a most convenient place to set for a meeting place with friends, for the time need not drag while waiting, and there is protection from sun and rain. On hot days, too, the cooling easterly breezes, fresh from the ocean, seem to invariably sweep across the ocean front and enter the areas under the Casino balconies.
One may spend as little or as much as he pleases here. There are no admission charges, no demands that one play this machine or that. The visitor is free to merely look the place over or to try any or all of the many fascinating devices. A friendly air of welcome pervades the place and pleased and happy faces only are to be found amid the sounds of laughter and jollity. For you also, the door is open and the multitude of attractions stand ever ready to help make the day a pleasant one to remember.
Exeter & Hampton Electric Co.
On March 1st, 1897 in Exeter, N. H., a company was formed by the name of Rockingham Light and Power Company. Its purpose was to sell electric current to homes that were being wired for the purpose of obtaining light. This change was taking place as a man by the name of Thomas I. Edison had just a year or two back invented an illuminating lamp that was sweeping the country over and rapidly changing the method of illuminating the home from the old fashioned kerosene lamps to the new method of lighting. Thus gradually, day by day did lines of the Rockingham Power & Light Company of Exeter begin to extend its poles through the streets to the homes of the people where today are approximately 866 miles of wire over the company lines. In 1908, April 1st, the present company of Exeter & Hampton Light and Power Company which affiliated with the old Exeter, Hampton & Amesbury Street Railway Co.
In about 1900 the first electric wires were strung on poles to Hampton Beach for the purpose of supplying lights and power to the fast growing summer resort.
The current season of 1937 has seen a change in the management of the Chat restaurant.
Mr. Francis J. Mahoney of Hanover who has had 20 years’ experience as a restaurant man and Harry W. Sampson have leased the Chat from the former owner and have made many improvements and changes
Mr. Mahoney’s experience has proved very valuable in planning as many satisfied guests who have made it their dining room during their stay at the Beach.
Joe Viscerola, head chef, is known from coast to coast for his delicious salads and his fish-cooked plates. Mrs. Arline Rogers, who has been on the beach a good many years is in charge of bakery department.
A novelty in eating which is the talk of the beach, is an origination of Floriantino Coyjola of a Spanish dish which is very delicious and palatable.
Mrs. Cecelia Mahoney is a very pleasing hostess who greets each guest personally.
Among the many familiar faces that are back on the beach this year and has been doing business for almost a quarter of a century is John Coleman, proprietor of Coleman’s Ice Cream Parlor, who came to the beach June 24, 1914, and has been doing business in that line ever since that time without missing a season. Mr. Coleman purchased the business from Frank O’Dea on the corner of B Street and remained there in that location until 1919 when he leased the building on his present location on the corner of C Street and Ocean Boulevard. Here he has been doing business ever since. Mr. Coleman is associated with his son Francis and his wife who have one child.
The Coleman ice cream parlor is about the only confectionery store on the beach in New England with manufactures their own ice cream cones right before your very eyes and serves them to their patrons as they come off the fire. Incidentally the Coleman ice cream parlor serves ice cream that tests the highest of any ice cream in New Hampshire and they have served the same kind ever since they have been doing business on the beach.
The Coleman’s motto is “Willing service at all times, with a smile.”
Lamie’s Tavern in Hampton, N. H., on U. S. No. 1 enjoys the well deserved patronage of tourists from all parts of the country as well as that of residents in this section who have learned in the 7 years since the tavern has been open just how extraordinarily delicious are the foods so attractively served in the unusually delightful interior with its finish and soft harmonizing lighting effects.
Lamie’s Tavern was opened on the 22nd day of January, 1931, under the personal management of Albert Lamie, for many years a former resident of Haverhill, who also is ably assisted in the supervision of this famous establishment by his wife, Madeline Lamie; The Tavern is in Hampton center at the junction of Exeter road and U. S. Route No. 1.
The name of Lamie is already known from coast to coast for its turkey, chicken, shore dinners, lunches, salads and refreshments of the highest quality. They specialize on a 65c luncheon which is served at all hours and which is proving especially popular now as it has from the start.
Four roads meet at the Tavern, one leading to Exeter, one to the beach and the through highway running North/South to Boston and Eastern Maine.
In front and on the right side of the Tavern there is an unusually large parking space, yet there is hardly any part of the day or night when this space looks bare and in rush hours it is packed with cars.
The main dining room, with its ten extra large and comfortable booths and many well arranged tables occupies the entire right hand section of the first floor. Much of the lumber used in the building or the entrance, and in the main dining room was salvaged from the old Ashcroft estate and put to use in the building to give a unique expression of old colonial design. There is much in historic taste and beauty as one enters into the dining room, with not a single nail driven by hand in the construction. Everything is duplicated from Colonial fashion. Even the trays are made from boards of the famous old Ashcroft house which has a historic background in itself. The gorgeous dining room is very cleverly arranged with a large and beautiful fireplace over which is hanging a handmade ship, a design of the Norsemen and it is an exact reproduction. Some of the mantel used in the fireplace was introduced from England and imported to its present location in the main dining room of Lamie’s Tavern. Wagon wheels of the old oxcart days were taken from their ancient resting places and put into service as chandeliers for the lights.
There is an addition to the dining room a large section devoted to the most modern lunch counter as well as a first class soda fountain.
Lamie’s Tavern is open throughout the entire year and is an ideal place for special parties, whether large or small.
One thing is certain when you visit Lamie’s you are sure of a cordial welcome and good food served in a colonial atmosphere. Mr. Albert Lamie has proven the fact that goodwill such as found at his establishment will draw people back from all parts of the U. S. and they stop repeatedly as they pass through town. Hampton certainly is proud of the Lamie’s Tavern and the reputation which it enjoys.
Among the most popular figure on the beach today who are in the hotel business are Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Morse, having been permanent residents of the beach for over 20 years.
Mrs. Theresa Morse runs the Malcolm hotel, which is known all over the U. S. A. and even has guests from Canada. Mrs. Morse has built a large clientele from these countries and they come to her hotel each year. Mrs. Morse, with her husband A. J. Morse (who also has a large electrical business of his own and has been very successful at this) have been running the Malcolm for over 20 years.
Mr. A. J. Morse is at present a member of the Hampton Chamber of Commerce and board of directors which position he has just recently been reelected to.
The Malcom has 30 large, airy rooms including a large reception room in which there are large airy windows and over-stuffed furniture where you get a beautiful breeze off the salt water.
Mr. Morse has been very successful in the electrical business as a contractor and has installed many large automatic oil burners and wired a large number of homes.
The Morses have one son, Malcolm, for whom the hotel is named.
The Avon Hotel has, for many years, been distinguished for its home-like air of hospitality - an atmosphere of congenial friendliness which, once experienced, is never forgotten. Because of this friendly spirit which pervades The Avon our guests return regularly year after year.
The Avon is situated on B Street and is one of the finest of modern hostelries. It is equipped with all of the up-to-the-minute conveniences which go to make a vacation enjoyable. Large, airy rooms even furnished in smart and pleasing fashion are offered to those seeking an ideal spot for the summer vacation at very reasonable prices. For many years the Avon has been a favorite with vacationists. At this hotel one finds every desirable feature of a fine enjoyable holiday. The cool, refreshing sea breezes of the Atlantic sweep through the spacious, well furnished rooms and sooth the tired brow of the traveler.
The Avon Hotel was purchased from George Ashworth the original owner 25 years ago and has been run continuously by Mrs. Uhlig ever since.
Over half of this year’s guests have been regular visitors for over ten years and several families being here every year since Mrs. Uhlig has taken charge.
The Avon is popular with epicures because of its excellent cuisine. Sea-fresh sea-food, flavored with the real tang of the nearby ocean, vies with country-fresh vegetables and berries for the approval of Avon guests. Years ago the Avon found the quickest way to a guest’s heart, and its table has borne witness to the fact ever since.
Some came as children with their parents and now are here with their own children.
Every guest is at once made to feel at home. The hotel is very fortunate that it has had the same chef for twelve years.
Mrs. Uhlig has been very prominent in all beach activities from the first chamber of commerce being very active in the annual children’s day.
Exeter & Hampton Electric Co.
The Exeter and Hampton Electric Company has been identified with the lighting of this beach almost since the Lovell interests put the beach back into popularity by constructing the electric car lines here in the late nineties.
From the beginning this company has constantly sought to serve the beach people in every way, increasing the scope of their service as the beach grew, and have kept up with all improvement. Their show rooms have carried the best and latest equipment and it has been produced and compare favorably with the largest cities. From time to time demonstrations have been carried on so that the beach customers could see and learn of each new device to make lighting and cooking better and more convenient and insuring as much ease and comfort at the beach as would be possible for the people to enjoy in their city homes.
The Company’s charges for its various kinds of services compare favorably with surrounding cities and towns and its record of more than a quarter of a century is one to be proud of.
The company has always kept well in advance of the growth of the beach and by its fine facilities and cooperative spirit done much to give prestige to the beach and satisfaction to all those who use electric current.
Two of the oldest restaurant men in the point of service who have been actively engage in that line are the Downer Bros. who have been in the restaurant business since 1904.
Starting one of the first lunch rooms on the beach on the Corner of B and Ocean Boulevard in May 30, 1904, Mr. George Downer with his brother John E. Downer, have continuously been in business since that time; staying for years at that location and in 1908 moved to C street, just off the boulevard where they stayed for 18 years. In 1926 they again moved from that location to their present site. Where in 1932 they opened a connection with their lunch room a very appropriate tea room known as the Renwood. This is operated on the European style and has booths and waitress service. Together with the Renwood and Downers lunch room combined they employ 22 people.
For many years the Gookin House on Ocean Boulevard has been serving and catering to summer guests. Mrs. Sadie Crowley Gookin, is proprietor of this family hotel. For a long time the hotel has been serving vacationists at Hampton. Cool, airy rooms, beautiful spacious dining room – vacationists can be well assured of a pleasant and enjoyable vacation when they sit down to the table and eat the delicious food prepared by one of the well known chefs, Mr. Joseph Langley.
Or, when they go upstairs to rest on the large roomy beds.
Mrs. Gookin, who has had long experience in the hotel business, has been staying this year round at the beach, but this year she expects to have a winter home in the south.
H. William, Jr.
This year marks the second year of the opening of the H. William, Jr. establishment (formerly known as the Bushway Grille) under the personal management of “Smiling Billy” Birgfeld, who is now owner and operator.
Young Billy leased the property from Mr. Bushway. May 30 of this year found the alert fellow starting his second year at this location with ten assistants, many of whom are college students. The salon has grown by leaps and bounds. Originally, when Young Birgfeld opened the ice cream parlor he served three regular dinners and one special each day but by July 4 of this year this business had grown so tremendously that no less than nine regular dinners and an additional special had to be added to supply the wants of the throng who gathered to dine.
Sunday trade caught Mr. Billy napping, but not for long, as he was forced to add four more to his already staff of ten.
The dining room is neatly arranged with seating capacity of 58, beautifully decorated in rustic and blue.
Despite the age of “Billy” Brigfeld, who, we admit, is but 22, he has accomplished much in the short time that the stand has been under his supervision. Long ago, he had passed the mark of last year’s business and now has doubled it.
A pleasant chap is Billy. Everyone likes him. He is very polite, always wearing that smile that is so convincing of the most pleasant nature.
The food served by Billy’s lunch room is more than wholesome, it is attractive. The outstanding feature is the arrangement of their sandwiches. Everyone who visits the shop remarks about their style – the curious designs and above all how delicate the taste.
This is the second year for Billy at Hampton and business is so good that he intends to return next year, and take it from the customers, the present location will soon become too small and Billy will then have to look up a larger building in order to accommodate the crowd he is sure to have.
During the winter Young Billy went to St. Petersburg, Florida, where he was employed at the Jungle Hotel as an assistant chef. He also took up a business course while there in one of the local business schools. This coming year we would not be surprised if he were made chief steward.
One of the oldest hotel men on Hampton Beach is the point of service is Lester Ford, proprietor of the Hotel Pelham.
Mr. Ford first started in the hotel business back in 1903 when, with his father, he rented rooms to summer visitors on B Street.
The following year, 1904, Mr. Ford purchased the present Pelham and made two additions with two annexes, giving him a total of 42 guests rooms in his establishment.
Mr. Ford has a novel plan of his own organization to his dinner menus, they being all hand drawn with an artistic design in several colors.
The many guests who have stayed at the Pelham have remarked how attractive and beautiful the menus are.
Mr. Ford remembers when the beach did not have a house or cottage south of the Casino building and where the beach boulevard is now located, there was nothing but large sand dunes.